VOGONS

AWE64 Gold

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive bought an AWE 64 Gold for 2$ on a yard sale, and have been wondering, can any of the two line in jacks be used as a head phone jack, or do i need to make a converter for the outputs?

And can some one point me to a thread/website about AWE64 and MIDI (sound fonts etc)?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. The RCA outputs of this card are the main highlight of this card 😀 Look out for the AWE64 Value. Similar card but with the standard headphone jacks.

The AWE64 has direct support for many new games. It also supports General MIDI in many games.

VOGONS has heaps of threads on this, but you need to find them first 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, i also have the Value version. But ive read that the DAC is much more improved in AWE64 Gold, and i really would love to experience that 😀
I will make a converter. Or get an head phone amp.

Also, yeah, i know it does, but when i tried searching i didnt get much. Thats why i asked.
Thanks for your reply!

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whenever I'm looking for something on VOGONS I do a Google search "VOGONS AWE64 GOLD" for example. The built-in search never finds what I'm after...

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, good idea! Thanks 😁

Google can also search like this (if some one didnt know)

stuff you want site:www.vogons.org

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Oh i see, i also have the Value version. But ive read that the DAC is much more improved in AWE64 Gold, and i really would love to experience that 😀

Wikipedia says someting like that, talking about a 20-bit DAC. But the AWE64 Gold has the same CT1703-A chip as many other Creative ISA soundcards, which is told to be a "8/16-bit ADC/DAC Codec".

source AFAIK, the WAV output is still the older chipset so that's 16bit, and the synth
DAC is probably still the Philips 13xx series which is 16bit. Only the digital
out is 20bit.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 12, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's exactly what I use.

I think you get better sound that way because it is not going though an amplifier... that is basically running the headphones out of the line-out jack.

I have an older AWE64 before they starting omitting the speaker out jacks, and it is MUCH noisier....

Reply 9 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much all the cards from the Sound Blaster 16 have a line-out. Many have both, line-out and speaker ports. Some have a jumper to disable the amplifier. The AWE64 (I think it's called value) has also got line-out and speaker.

After having had quite a few Sound Cards I do however start to feel that this is a little bit of a myth because the noise is part of the signal, doesn't matter if it's amplified or not. And at some stage you are going to amplify it anyway (powered speakers or dedicated Amp) and then the signal (and noise) gets amplified anyway.

The AWE64 Gold is simply a card with very little noise and this has nothing to do with the line-out. There are Sound Blaster 16 cards with line-out that are terribly noisy. So picking a quiet card is the real task here. ESS Audio Drive or PCI cards tend to also be pretty quiet.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 12, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used an AWE 64 ( not gold ) for a long time, have good memories of this card, I think the wavetable on it is very descent, its pretty bad when doing FM though. Sounds dry and sterile ( kinda )

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 11 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But But But you can apply reverb and chorus to FM 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPw7C8_K3Q

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 12, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, you can add reverb and chorus on something richer and warmer than an awe64 playing FM and get something better than an awe64 playing FM with Chorus and reverb 😉

I actually have an external stereo sound processor, its used to apply Reverb on my NES at the moment, NES has stereo mod of course. Nothing better than some classics with added bling.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.