VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've offered a guy 30 bucks (AUD which are on par with USD) for this motherboard, and he said no, citing eBay listings as evidence that it's worth more.

As we know eBay is no guide, a lot of that stuff sits there for months. But this thing does have VLB + PCI, that unusual cache setup (pipeline burst I think it's called?), and comes with a manual.

What do you guys think it's worth?

IMG.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a PC Chips M919. Usually you don't have any external cache on those boards, but since it includes the COAST (Cache on a stick) module, it might be OK.

Those M919 cache modules are rare as hens' teeth, apparently.

The M919 has a few nice features: PCI AND VLB, coin battery, supports AMD 133 chips, and that Windows-like BIOS thing.

But OTOH it's a PC Chips board, so it could be an unstable piece of crap.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the 1st pic, the cache module looks like a standard COAST, not like the cache module as in the pics in this thread:
Cyrix Cx486 DX40

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much does he think he's going to get for it? If he thinks he's going to get $200 for it, you should remind him that just because something is listed on ebay for a high price doesn't mean that it's going to sell for that price.

And good spot on the cache module. If that's not the module that actually goes with that board, then that lowers the value drastically.

Reply 4 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One issue I would have with the board is that if the COAST module is bad or becomes bad, then it would be extremely difficult to replace. I would prefer a board with socketed cache.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks to me like that cache stick says 'PCChips' up in the top right corner. That doesn't necessarily mean it's for that particular PCChips board, but it's possible it's just a different version of the M919 cache module... PCChips did have a tendency toward mid-production hardware changes, after all.

Reply 8 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well these boards are worth something. They actually even have their fanbase and are good performers. They accept all CPU's and the later revisions go well with EDO RAM so a cheap memory upgrade is possible. But many BIOS versions are prone to some kind of unreproducable instabilities from time to time but I think the last Revison is nearly "solid".

But if you plug in the cache module shown on the picture the board would not post but it will get damaged until you shut it off with no big delay. The M919 needs a proprietary cache module with an 8+1 SRAM configuration. This module looks like a Simm but with longer contacts.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 9 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have an M919, with fake cache. It performed well but was prone to strange crashes.

Also I tried plugging in a COAST module from a pentium board and it simply wouldn't power on. After removing the module the board works fine.

If personally give this board a miss. It's not worth more than what you offered.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 12, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im hoping that sellers like "artifact_systems" from Ukraine will drag down prices across the board, I recently got a late model pci UMC mainboard for $33 off him (delivered), If you look at his listings everything is reasonably priced compared to every other seller and puts in an effort to test the boards too.

Reply 11 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I told the bloke selling it that those eBay prices he's quoting are bollocks, he's going to list it anyway apparently. I'll be interested to see how it goes. In the mean time the keyboard I bought from him has shown up and it's busted, so I have no faith in him now anyway.

artifact_systems is a good seller, pitty about the postage. I bought a 386 board from him a while ago and it was well packed and worked like a charm.

EDIT: here's the guy trying to flog it on eBay, 60 bucks he reckons:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI … n#ht_500wt_1413

Reply 12 of 12, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an m919 in my collection years ago. Sometime in 2009 or so it found it's way to a garbage can. It was not very reliable. The board has a good layout but so many corners were cut in the design. Selling at a premium is like asking several thousand for a Ford Pinto citing that people have paid so much for other cars from the 1970s.

In my experience, there really aren't any boards from PCChips worth more than the materials they're made from.