Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

You are right, its not THAT bad, its THAT horrible. I'd still stick to S3:
it will be recognized and directly supported by any older game and the reason I personally love it is the game "balls of steel". That game will usually not work at all with anything newer, but with S3 it works like a charm!

ATI (rage and co) will give you very nice image output but from a compatibility point of view - its miles away from S3. You will most certainly always need some 3rd party program or patch 'to make things work'. Not worth it from todays perspective, really not.

I played Balls of Steel on my Rage Pro all the time. I wasn't aware there was any problem. But maybe that's just me.

(Does the S3 support the 8x14 font as well?)

Reply 21 of 23, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
elfuego wrote:

You are right, its not THAT bad, its THAT horrible. I'd still stick to S3:
it will be recognized and directly supported by any older game and the reason I personally love it is the game "balls of steel". That game will usually not work at all with anything newer, but with S3 it works like a charm!

ATI (rage and co) will give you very nice image output but from a compatibility point of view - its miles away from S3. You will most certainly always need some 3rd party program or patch 'to make things work'. Not worth it from todays perspective, really not.

I played Balls of Steel on my Rage Pro all the time. I wasn't aware there was any problem. But maybe that's just me.

(Does the S3 support the 8x14 font as well?)

I said that it doesn't work with anything newer, not that it doesnt work with old ATI rage. Try it with any geforce for example, or any DX7/8+ capable card and you will see what I mean 😀

(and no idea about the font...)

Reply 22 of 23, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the Voodoo Rush was sufficient at the time. It became obsolete fast but again, the Voodoo chip was already kind of aging at the time the card came out. I had one back in 1998 and never had any qualms about the AT25 2d chip. The card was plenty for me to enjoy Half Life.

So far, my favorite PCI card for use with an old machine is the Rage LT Pro. You can use the thing with the Mach64 drivers in Windows 3.1. It's 2D is about as good as it will get and it can accelerate 3D plenty for any game that's in league for a 486 or original Pentium. The Matrox Millenium has also been pretty decent for me.

Though it seems here on this forum, our uses of old hardware and the differences between hardware capabilities from one product to another are just enough that one thing loved by one member gives trouble for another.