VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent well over half a day trying to figure how to get this board to flash to the latest bios but only succeeding in raising my blood pressure Q_Q

Using awardflash and the SS version rom, get a size mismatch. Original rom is only 128k while the new rom is 256k so I looked up the bios chip that is currently installed and it is 256x8. Winbond w29c020p

So anyone here an expert on these Abit boards? 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been quite awhile since I've used AWDFlash, but on most of those sorts of utilities, passing it a "/f" command line switch will force a flash.

If that doesn't work, maybe try Uniflash.

Reply 2 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my god I came across some forum posts about this a couple of days ago
If I remember correctly it involves using a different flash program that doesnt care about the mismatch then you can go back to using award flash

you will need to find the answers yourself becuase I may have remembered it totally wrong

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this may of been what I saw (may give you ideas what to search for)

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Rev 2.0 bios
since you are on such a old bios you have to use @bios to flash the bios.

Make sure you download the latest version.. When you flash make sure you place a check in the box to clear DMI Pool data.

After you have flashed the bios it is recommend that you update the back up bios so the Main bios and Back up bios will match. At start hold down either ALT+F12 or CTRL+F12.. I can not remember which does which. One will copy the main bios to the back up the other will copy the back up bios to the main bios.

After you have updated the latest bios you can continue to use qflash. Q-flash just needs to be updated to handle the larger bios file size.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried forcing it and it didn't work, downloaded uniflash but haven't tried it and will try when I am in a better mood.

@Davros, these ancient Abit boards are not easy to flash and they don't have all the modern conveniences.

Reply 5 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uniflash should do it, once you figure out the switches you need.

BIOS updates on older boards definitely can be a pain though. That's part of the reason I bought a Willem programmer... it makes life a lot easier to just be able to pull the BIOS chip, slap it in the programmer and flash it directly, and not have to deal with any of the 'official' flash utilities.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Flash utilities often have engineering releases, if all else fails, try to find one for your BIOS.
In some cases -when using multiple capacity chip in place of the original- you need to copy the contents twice/four times to the chip. (I am not sure you can do that without an external EEPROM burner or programmer. But in your case, it seems you should not do that anyway.)

maybe this is a good point to start at:

http://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 7 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jolaes76 wrote:
Flash utilities often have engineering releases, if all else fails, try to find one for your BIOS. In some cases -when using mu […]
Show full quote

Flash utilities often have engineering releases, if all else fails, try to find one for your BIOS.
In some cases -when using multiple capacity chip in place of the original- you need to copy the contents twice/four times to the chip. (I am not sure you can do that without an external EEPROM burner or programmer. But in your case, it seems you should not do that anyway.)

maybe this is a good point to start at:

http://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp

Already been there and tried a few things out. Don't feel like buying the eprom writer and haven't messed with that board for a few days.

Reply 8 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume you have the bin-only version of the SS-file(s) ?

Never encountered a size mismatch(have you changed the original chip??), so I'm probably not much help, but...
What commands are you writing when executing the awdflash ?

zjh354.jpg

PS: worst case, getting a new chip might help - though maybe cheaper to buy a second mobo(?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380338963013

Reply 9 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried that line with the switch commands but just comes up as mismatch. Might consider hunting down a better BX board down later.