VOGONS

First post, by Volksjager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe I have either a CT3990 or CT3980 and on my machine the digital sound and most FM sounds work fine but for certain games that use Ad Lib exclusively (Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, e.g.) the music becomes an unbearable screech. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the -5 volts power rail (probably not since I recall my BIOS showing it correctly) or hardware problem (some set up programs could not detect the Ad Lib.) What further tests should I perform and had anyone else had similar problems? Thanks.

Reply 2 of 7, by Volksjager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The machine is Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ. I doubt it is a speed issue since a AWE64 works on a machine with similar configuration and most music works. I am using QEMM386 so I am not sure if that affects anything.

Reply 3 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Find out what CT number your card is, as this could be important. CT3980 has the equivalent of a real OPL3, but the CT3990 has the CQM chip instead.

I'd say it's speed issues as well. I'm surprised SWotL even runs on a P4.

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget that SWoTL was programmed to run on an Adlib card. The YM3812 OPL2 chip on that board required delays on an XT, nevermind a P4.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Volksjager wrote:

The machine is Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ.

WOW!

Try these trick:

Go into the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable L1 cache.

Reply 6 of 7, by Volksjager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the hints so far. I will try them. Is there anyway to find out the device without opening the computer (which I will be doing a bit later)? I think it may have that CSP chip installed.

A similar problem occurs with the game Command HQ. Both SWOTL and CHQ work with VDMS on this computer as well as with AWE64 and another AWE32 (without CSP) on another Pentium 4.