VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For anyone here that has anything to do with modern rigs that needs or wanting a new power supply or builds/upgrades clients rigs avoid this brand. Their customer support is liquid crap, they take forever to reply let alone fallow through with rma.

My unit that being an hale90-1000-m kicked the bucket this morning and testing showed that the phase(s) that supplied power to the board and cpu failed. Over the past few days I noticed some coil whine while multiboxing wow. One phase failed so I changed to the second 8pin eps and it worked for a while then it finally died all the same. I look through the vent and sure enough the inductors don't look all that healthy with the insulation having a dark color. As for the rest look online as I am not the only one.

/rage face

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 3, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh man, that sounds bad! Thanks for the advice, I've been a fan of Thermaltake and Antec for years. When I was in college, I used to have my PC in my grandma's now-demolished, 40+ year old house with the two prong plugs. The water table was full of iron, there was little to no grounding on the house's internals, and I literally had a wall outlet explode in my face once. The Antec PSU still drives my XP rig.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The NZXT Hale90 series are rebadged Superflower units, and are pretty universally considered to be high quality PSUs. Of course there are inevitably going to be dud units, and it sucks that you got one, but... meh, it happens.

Crappy support from NZXT doesn't surprise me a bit, though. I think Corsair and Seasonic are about the only ones left amongst the PSU brands that have generally good customer support. Most of the 'enthusiast' brands have such awful customer service that I don't even bother trying to RMA anymore, it's quicker and easier (and if shipping charges are involved, cheaper) to fix the damn thing myself, or just replace it outright.

Oh, and just a side note... some of those inductors do use a dark color insulation. I wouldn't necessarily assume the color is indicative of anything, unless it's obviously scorched or something.

Reply 3 of 3, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually go with Seasonic, Corsair, or antec. I've had good luck with them. I recently opened up a cheap Excellent XPower 300 WATT thats been in use for a decade in a workstation, and it has 5 bulging caps. good thing I took it out of service before things went boom! I dont know how it lasted as long as it did, it came with the case which is even cheaper than the PSU itself.

Insert creative signature here.