VOGONS

First post, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've assembled a system based on the Asus CUBX-E motherboard, one of the last boards based on the 440BX chipset. After installing it and booting, i noticed that the card doesn't transmit the 4:3 signal. Every resolution is displayed as widescreen, and on top of that a horrible looking dos mode. The card is connected using DVI with my monitor. I'm using the analog input on the monitor for the Voodoo2.

This seems to be a video card issue, not a monitor one. I've confirmed this with a AMD/ATI HD6870 PCIe and HD3840 AGP cards. Both those cards boot in 4:3 and switch to 16:9 when in Windows.

Is this an issue with all nVidia cards with a DVI output?

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woa slow down you are making a lot of assumptions there and giving little information.

Video cards output resolutions. They don't control aspect ratio.

Aspect ratio is the shape of your monitor. And monitors and most drivers have aspect ratio scaling options inside windows.

But if you want a 4:3 image under DOS you need to use:

- a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor (close enough)

or

- Have a monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio setting

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've checked the 'Info' screen of my monitor (Samsung 2443BW) in dos and a couple of games (Wolf3D, Stunts), but my videocard always outputs 1920x1200 60Hz. So that may explain why everything is widescreen. Is this a nVidia feature?

Rig: Asus CUBX-E (440BX), PIII 1GHz, 512MB, Geforce Ti 4600 Ultra, Voodoo2, SBLive Platinum, SB16, MT-32

Reply 4 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar problem with GeForce Ti4600 DVI under DOS: My card always scales to 1600x1200 (which is the native resolution of my monitor), but it also forces the refresh rate to 60Hz in all modes. This creates massive timing issue for applications which expect the standard 70Hz VGA modes instead.
The problem does not occur when using the analog VGA cable.

Reply 5 of 9, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What happens on the VGA port?

Scales correctly, 720x400 70Hz, in DOS and 320x200 games, but i don't want to use the passthrough cable with the voodoo.

Edited: 70 Hz instead of 60

Last edited by retropc on 2012-07-27, 07:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Rig: Asus CUBX-E (440BX), PIII 1GHz, 512MB, Geforce Ti 4600 Ultra, Voodoo2, SBLive Platinum, SB16, MT-32

Reply 6 of 9, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To quote the last post from this forum thread:

According to the support representative, the card detects the monitor's EDID information and outputs the native resolution. By default, the video card will scale the image of the original source up to the output resolution that it's being told to output.

Hmm time to get a 9800 Pro i think.

Reply 7 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropc wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What happens on the VGA port?

Scales correctly, 720x400 60Hz, in DOS and 320x200 games, but i don't want to use the passthrough cable with the voodoo.

It should be 70Hz. Yea you seem to have some issues here.

Can you use a DVI > VGA dongle for the DVI output on the Geforce?

Reply 8 of 9, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps your monitor has a button/control panel with aspect ratio settings? my Dell 24 does with a few options like widescreen, original aspect ratio, fill to height, fill to width. That is, the adjustments are not made within the OS but directly with the monitor. the options are well burried inm the options tree and I wasn't even aware of them for a long time.

Reply 9 of 9, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It should be 70Hz. Yea you seem to have some issues here.

My bad, typo.

tincup wrote:

Perhaps your monitor has a button/control panel with aspect ratio settings? my Dell 24 does with a few options like widescreen, original aspect ratio, fill to height, fill to width. That is, the adjustments are not made within the OS but directly with the monitor. the options are well burried inm the options tree and I wasn't even aware of them for a long time.

Aspect ratio is set to auto. I'm not going to bother with nVidia cards anymore for dos usage. My previous non retro rig had an 8600GT with the same 'feature'. Seems like nVidia was aiming for max compatibility to avoid outputting resolutions a monitor doesn't support.