VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently started toying with this vmware player 5 in my netbook (Acer Aspire One D270 - Atom N2800, Intel GMA 3600). I don't have much experience in using vmwares or the likes, but it's quite a nice way to waste my time, since it's absorbing to see the "installation" of MS-DOS 6.22, installing the cdrom driver and the Cute Mouse Driver, etc... Heck, I've even used MEMMAKER to "optimize" my RAM!

I've successfully used the SB16 driver disk to "install" my "brand new" SB16 card. The DIAGNOSE utility correctly detects my sound card's parameters and it plays the sound effects well.

But the MIDI and FM sounds are not working. I just read about vmware supporting only PCM emulation, or something like that. I'm guessing it's still not possible to play midi or fm synth in vmware?

Has there been any workaround for this problem?

Is there any other virtualization software out there that can load up DOS with MIDI/FM music?

If only this vmware player 5 can stretch the full screen to fill the screen estate of my netbook's 1024x600 res, I would use it more often.

(DOSBOX, on the other hand, displays in full screen perfectly in my netbook, filling up the entire screen space. )

Thanks for any information.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 4, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VirtualBox does full SB16 emulation (except for CSP chip)
VMware does not and has NEVER emulated any sound blaster... it emulates the Ensoniq AudioPCI

for any one of these, you should also run DOSidle so that your host CPU won't be bogged down because DOS is stupid and doesn't put the guest CPU in a wait state

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Afaik you can change soundcard type in the vmx file or so, including SB16

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks.

I guess the Ensoniq emulation also makes the SB16's Install and Diagnose.exe think that this is a SB16 card then.

7954182256_f96d7dcb7f_c.jpg

I'm able to get the sound effects. But they are in mono. (It makes no difference when I choose left or right channel when testing the 8-bit and 16-bit sounds.)
And the FM synth does not work.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 4, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

6 years later is still the same with Vmware Workstation 12.5, i found post where some Vmware employee is writing that he is doign it in spare time:
https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2014/06/06 … #comment-200869

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.