VOGONS

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know of a Virtual Floppy Drive that works in Windows 98 SE? I really like VFD, but sadly that does not not work in Win 98. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TVR wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:03:

Wanted to give this an 8yr old bump. Anyone know of anything these days for a virtual drive in 9x? VFD works starting in 2000/ME and someone at Stack said FileImage works but it’s not for me... thanks

I would get a Gotek and call it a day . Even if there is virtual floppy software that runs under Windows 9x , it will be of no use under pure DOS, where it would be most useful anyway, IMHO .

Reply 3 of 7, by TVR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the reply Darry, I’m using and loving a Gotek atm. I just haven’t flashed it (yet) so I need to extract all my images that aren’t 1.44 and put them on the usb. Seems most of my games are 720k. It would be nice to stick my image library on my CF card and just mount them as needed like we can do with ISO’s!

Reply 4 of 7, by TVR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s odd (sort of not really) that there’s a great virtual floppy drive for DOS and Windows 2000/ME through 10 but 9x just doesn’t seem to have one. The guy who made the wonderful SHSUCD made a floppy version for DOS and it works great it’s just sorta useless for anything that requires in-game disk swaps, really need a gui w background tasks for that!

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TVR wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:29:

It’s odd (sort of not really) that there’s a great virtual floppy drive for DOS and Windows 2000/ME through 10 but 9x just doesn’t seem to have one.

Same with virtual COM ports / null-modem emulation.
Windows XP has great support for this, for example, while 9x totally "sucks" on this matter as much as Linux does.
In fact, this forced me to be creative* and develop myself a hardware solution:
Using a duo USB serial adapter with a 3-wire null modem "cable". 😀

(* Not really, just kidding. About everyone will think about this workaround at some point, I believe..)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TVR wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:22:

thanks for the reply Darry, I’m using and loving a Gotek atm. I just haven’t flashed it (yet) so I need to extract all my images that aren’t 1.44 and put them on the usb. Seems most of my games are 720k. It would be nice to stick my image library on my CF card and just mount them as needed like we can do with ISO’s!

Put flashfloppy on and you can do just that. And add a drive noise speaker!

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pii_legacy wrote on 2020-06-13, 09:20:
TVR wrote on 2020-06-13, 01:22:

Put flashfloppy on and you can do just that. And add a drive noise speaker!

I second that! FlashFlappy can handle various formats. Much better than the bad default firmware, IMHO, that's crippled on prupose (you're forced to buy a separate 720KB version if you don't use 1,44MB images.)
With FlashFloppy, only the PC's floppy controller is the limit (XTs often have a max. floppy controller bandwith of 250 Kb/s, while AT's can handle 500 Kb/s or higher).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//