VOGONS

First post, by Laucian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently assembled a system for retro games that works pretty well, running later DOS games in Windows 98 DOS mode, the early ones in DOSBox and a lot of Windows games. The specs are the following:

Pentium 3 1GHz (Coppermine)
Asus CUV4X Motherboard
512 MB RAM
3x 40GB HDDs
CD-ROM Drive
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
AWE 64 Value
430W PSU

But I've noticed that the fan noise is really, really REALLY loud. The cooler I am using is a generic OEM one (I got it from a computer that was left in the trash). Searching online, I've found that the socket 370 coolers are notoriously noisy (something that I did not notice back in the day. Oh rose tinted glasses).

Anyone got recommendations on a passive/quiet(er) cooler?

Reply 1 of 9, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glacialtech Igloo SilentBreeze:

The Latest and Greatest in Perfect Machines

Not sure where to get one these days, especially if you're not in Europe. Hey wow you're in Brazil. I'm not selling you mine.. 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The SilentBreeze 462 was the quietest cooler out of 65 (!) tested here:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/cooling-systems … b2k3-part4.html

Reply 4 of 9, by Laucian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

27 DB! That's surprisingly low.

Unfortunately, I mixed up and thought a GlacialTech Igloo 2300 (rated at 49DB) was the Silent Breeze. Haven't found the actual Silent Breeze for sale anywhere.

Oh, well. Part hunting here I go.

Reply 6 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One can also take any 12Volt DC fan that gives plenty cooling at stock speed, and then connect it to a "fan speed controller" to run it at about 70% speed. The controller just reduces the voltage. In my experience most fans are quiet at 70% speed.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure if your board can rev down the RPM of your CPU fan, but if it does, then finding any Socket A cooler will be more silent then the stock Intel s370 coolers. Those Intel coolers were noisy as hell!
A Coppermine 1000 will produce somewhat around 30W in heat while Socket A coolers are designed to deal with a power dissipation of around 70W (more then twice the amount a Coppermine will ever produce).

Personally I found even the stock AMD copper HSF's to be a real improvement over those Intel stock HSF's.

There are better HSF's then the AMD stock ones, but I got a bunch for €2 each and bought a small lot of them.

Personally I like the Copper Silent 3 a lot.

Edit:And I agree with Gerwin, I love using those 7v adapters 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

If it is the fan bearings you can fix that with a little bit of heavy weight motor oil and a q-tip.

That's right, a drop of oil pushed through a medical injector (or whatever you call those things http://www.dickinsonpd.com/images/syringe.jpg) can change a lot.

After all, if your cooler has a molex plug, you can use 5V line (RED) instead of 12V line (YELLOW) if 5V is enough for you.

Reply 9 of 9, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

If it is the fan bearings you can fix that with a little bit of heavy weight motor oil and a q-tip.

That's right, a drop of oil pushed through a medical injector (or whatever you call those things http://www.dickinsonpd.com/images/syringe.jpg) can change a lot.

After all, if your cooler has a molex plug, you can use 5V line (RED) instead of 12V line (YELLOW) if 5V is enough for you.

Also, it is possible to buy contact cleaner spray that has oil in it. In my experience it is great on noisy fan bearing. I even completely resurrected seized fans with it. The oil in it is quite persistent and its also great on Pots.

Here is the brand i Use because its what they sell around here.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/ … l-cleaner-401b/

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.