VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which are the top 5 and the best Matrox PCI card?
I want to upgrade my DOS PC, and ive heard Matrox was the best when it comes to 2D, so i was wonder, which card is the best and what are the next 5 alternatives?

I saw an auction for Matrox G550 for 20e.

Reply 2 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Dos-only use you're probably not going to get any benefit over something like a S3 Virge / Trio64. Pretty much solid compatibility and VESA support too.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Matrox was overrated by some magazines and a lot of hearsay. They are just another option that has worse compatibility than S3 for DOS and 3Dfx for 3D. Their GUI speed is also not special, and they are certainly not the only cards with clear output.

Perhaps the most interesting Matrox moments were
-M3D (PowerVR PCX2 outsourcing)
-Mystique Mechwarrior 2 (it has some nice aspects)
-G400 EMBM (this works on newer cards like Radeon too though).
-Dualhead (they were first, especially to make it work so well)

Reply 5 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one Matrox G200 with 4MB of RAM.
And i have S3 Virge DX 4MB ram.
And i think i have TRIO as well.

Hmm... Well, what cards are really good when it comes to windows98/DOS and PCI slot?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 9 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:
Diamond stealth64 3200 Diamond Viper V330 Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro […]
Show full quote

Diamond stealth64 3200
Diamond Viper V330
Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro

Which one should i buy?

Buy for what?
S3 968 is older than Virge and Trio but it might be ok. It has a compatibility problem with Voodoo cards that requires a TSR.

The next two are AGP. V330 is Riva 128 and the last one is Permedia 2 which you don't want.

Reply 10 of 17, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first one is really old S3 vision chip, second one is riva 128 and third one is a 3dlabs permedia. None of them are Virge. Get Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro instead 😀

Reply 11 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stojke already mentioned that (s)he has a Virge DX and maybe a Trio in a prior post so I have no idea what (s)he's on about.

Of those three I guess the Riva 128 is most useful. It has usable 3D, although ugly, and fast 2D/GUI. I had a FireGL Pro 1000 (Permedia 2) recently and its 3D is useless for games IMO, but its GUI speed is nice and it was sharp and clear. DOS is an unknown though.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-09-21, 23:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Stojke already mentioned that (s)he has a Virge DX and maybe a Trio in a prior post so I have no idea what (s)he's on about.

Indeed. If he already has Virge DX, diamond variant will do little to impress 😀 Maybe only in output quality, but thats also disputable.

Reply 13 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tested also extensively the riva128 (and ZX) cards in DOS, except some very rare older games they actually behave VERY nice , speedy and with a high compatibility , things like modeX and colors in Keen games are OK for example, things that older cards of the era do have problems with... As long as you don't plan to use win3x with a riva card (driver is broken) then it's a viable option especially if you have a speedy DOS machine and need a speedy card.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Riva's ugly-yet-compatible 3d is a fun curiosity though. It has very low precision for multiply/subtractive blend so any lightmapping will look like lightcrapping. It gets worse if the game uses overbrights.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

The Riva's ugly-yet-compatible 3d is a fun curiosity though. It has very low precision for multiply/subtractive blend so any lightmapping will look like lightcrapping. It gets worse if the game uses overbrights.

Indeed. It is a strange one. You can tell NVIDIA put some serious effort into the drivers even though the hardware clearly is a bit off 🤣

What's also amazing is how vastly improved TNT is. It's night and day in both speed and quality. Watch out 3dfx.

Reply 16 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By that i meant that i found those cards on sale on one auction site and am wondering is any worth buying? All of those are PCI models.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 17 of 17, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

By that i meant that i found those cards on sale on one auction site and am wondering is any worth buying? All of those are PCI models.

In that case, only the Viper 330 (riva 128) would be worth anything. The Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro is a total failure and the S3 vision isn't really worth having next to Virge.