VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Too bad ROTT 1.3 has screwed up OPL timbres.

Whachu talkin bout Willis?

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
simbin wrote:

SUCCESS !! Updating ROTT v 1.2 --> v 1.3 fixed it !! I hadn't got around to updating all my games yet. I'm going to see if Duke3D is all the way up-to-date, because I don't remember having that issue in the past.

Hmm mine is 1.3 (GOG.com version). When you select AWE32 for music, does it get detected?

Yes, it all works. I think I had a prob when I was missing something in config.sys or auto.bat. Check my sig link and see if u got all the SET BLASTER variables for ur setup.

Last edited by simbin on 2012-10-08, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 21 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that looks fine.

Hmm I might try a shareware version or something like that. Maybe some file is missing from the GOG.com version.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea that looks fine.

Hmm I might try a shareware version or something like that. Maybe some file is missing from the GOG.com version.

check ur pm

Reply 23 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What leileilol is referring to about the OPL timbres is that in ROTT 1.3 they changed the way sound works for adlib/sound blaster music. Most people prefer the sound of 1.2 but if you're using the Awe32 option in the setup, I don't think it would be any different as that's not OPL. To be honest I've never tried an awe32/64 with ROTT but I remember back in the 90s I had the 1.2 shareware version then later bought the 1.3 registered version and was disappointed with the sound on my SB16

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 24 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

What leileilol is referring to about the OPL timbres is that in ROTT 1.3 they changed the way sound works for adlib/sound blaster music. Most people prefer the sound of 1.2 but if you're using the Awe32 option in the setup, I don't think it would be any different as that's not OPL. To be honest I've never tried an awe32/64 with ROTT but I remember back in the 90s I had the 1.2 shareware version then later bought the 1.3 registered version and was disappointed with the sound on my SB16

Doesn't AWE32 sound better anyway?

Reply 25 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well that's a matter of opinion 😜
but to put it simply, SB16 would use FM synthesis, while AWE synthesis is sample based.
Your AWE supports FM synthesis as well, if you pick SB16 in the game setup it should work and the music should sound noticably different.

I personally prefer a Yamaha General MIDI synth for this particular game

Reply 26 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
well that's a matter of opinion :P but to put it simply, SB16 would use FM synthesis, while AWE synthesis is sample based. Your […]
Show full quote

well that's a matter of opinion 😜
but to put it simply, SB16 would use FM synthesis, while AWE synthesis is sample based.
Your AWE supports FM synthesis as well, if you pick SB16 in the game setup it should work and the music should sound noticably different.

I personally prefer a Yamaha General MIDI synth for this particular game

I always thot the AWE wavetable supported more simultaneous sounds = better.. of course I hear ppl rave about Roland but never heard one myself.

Reply 27 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:

of course I hear ppl rave about Roland but never heard one myself.

*puts his hand up*

Got some videos for you 😀

Roland and Yamaha General MIDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpnZlOJIqw

These two General MIDI devices are very popular here on VOGONS. Especially the NEC385 is a must to buy!

Doom Roland General MIDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316i0uV32WE&li … eature=view_all

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
*puts his hand up* […]
Show full quote
simbin wrote:

of course I hear ppl rave about Roland but never heard one myself.

*puts his hand up*

Got some videos for you 😀

Roland and Yamaha General MIDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpnZlOJIqw

These two General MIDI devices are very popular here on VOGONS. Especially the NEC385 is a must to buy!

Doom Roland General MIDI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316i0uV32WE&li … eature=view_all

WOW nice video! I'm no expert, but the Roland sounded weaker yet clearer, while the Yamaha packed more punch though less clear. To be fair, both sounded REALLY good, my ears were having trouble telling the dif.

Either way, the external MIDI boxes = AWESOME SAUCE !! 😀

Reply 29 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The NEC385/Yamaha is a wavetable board and that's always noisier. I have another video here, using a Sound Blaster 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWXbj9Fvkg&li … ture=plpp_video

My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The NEC385/Yamaha is a wavetable board and that's always noisier. I have another video here, using a Sound Blaster 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWXbj9Fvkg&li … ture=plpp_video

VERY impressive, but now you got me glued to YouTube looking at sound card comparisons !! LMAO

BTW what are the external boxes ur using?
EDIT: 🤣 I can see the models in the video, my bad

Not to get off the sound card topic.. but I found this on YouTube and I'm left speechless.. thot I'd share 😀
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxTqqTnMRIg&feature=related

Reply 31 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guessing I can't add a wavetable like the NEC385 to my AWE64 Value card, but instead only the Creative SIMM daughtercards?

If that's the case, what base card should I get or does it really matter so long as it's compatible?

Reply 32 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a contentious issue and one that's been discussed many times on these forums.

Check the 'sound cards from best to worst' thread for more info

Reply 33 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

That's a contentious issue and one that's been discussed many times on these forums.

Check the 'sound cards from best to worst' thread for more info

OK yea there seems to be an infinite source of sound card info on this site.. I've been reading most of today and now I got more questions than answers LMFAO All the same, I'm really excited to learn about all this stuff I didn't know about back in the day 😀

Reply 34 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the AWE64 doesn't have the wavetable header, which is quite disappointing. One of the reasons why I prefer external MIID modules (you connect them through the joystick port). But also because I can use them with DOSBox, ScummVM and various ports for Doom or Descent.

However that NEC 385 is such good value, just buy it. Don't even think about it, just grab one while they are still around 😀 There is a Yamaha card on eBay as well (new with box and drivers). I just ordered two and it should be a good host for the NEC 385. I will report once it arrives and I had a proper play with it 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yes the AWE64 doesn't have the wavetable header, which is quite disappointing. One of the reasons why I prefer external MIID modules (you connect them through the joystick port). But also because I can use them with DOSBox, ScummVM and various ports for Doom or Descent.

However that NEC 385 is such good value, just buy it. Don't even think about it, just grab one while they are still around 😀 There is a Yamaha card on eBay as well (new with box and drivers). I just ordered two and it should be a good host for the NEC 385. I will report once it arrives and I had a proper play with it 😀

The Yamaha setup is sounding better all the time, as I continue to have problems with the AWE64 anyway. My only worry is having to make a custom cable for the wavetable cause I'm not so good at that sort of thing.

Posting my recent SB bugs in case anyone has any ideas..

Sam & Max Hit the Road locks up with SB16 or SB Pro -- Plain SB or Adlib (music-only) works fine.

Duke Nukem 2 locks up if SB + Music is used, but works fine with Adlib + Music.

I think they both lock when the first sound effect is played, while simultaneously playing background music. Stupid AWE64 !! LMAO

Reply 36 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OMG loading the SBK and using GM is pretty amazing.. looks like I need a separate card for sound effects tho. Still going with the Yamaha.. just didn't know I could do that. Learn something new every day on this site 😉

Reply 37 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your PC is very fast. Could be the reason why some games don't run.

Definitely disable L1 cache and try again!

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 38, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Your PC is very fast. Could be the reason why some games don't run.

Definitely disable L1 cache and try again!

I did try that a while back but it destroyed performance. Everything got really, really choppy. It was unplayable.

EDIT:
For Sam & Max I just ended up using ScummVM with a nice custom SoundFont. I can't help but feel like I'm cheating, but it does work and sounds great now!