VOGONS

OS Recommend - 98se or ME for 3dfx

Topic actions

First post, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the process of rebuilding my retro-gaming PC. Sole purpose; old 3dfx games (Mechwarrior, MDK, Carmageddon, that sort of thing). I've got both 98se and ME to choose from and was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with ME. I've had 98se on it for a while now with the usual stability and driver issues and was thinking a move to ME might give me the backward compatibility I need to keep with a bit more of an even-tempered system, but I'm not really sure as my only experience with ME was a week-long nightmare trying to get it working on a system with 1GB RAM over 10 years ago. Specs for the retro box are below...

CPU: P4 2.66GHz
RAM: 512MB DDR2
HD: 80GB WD (20/60 FAT32 partitions)
Chipset: Intel 865G
Gfx: In-built Intel and 2x Creative VooDoo 2 12MB in SLI
Sound: In-built SoundMax

Ta in advance 😀

Reply 1 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

From my experience and what I read people had more problems with ME than with 98SE and all that hassle for not much more features or compatibility. People who had a stable 98SE (as stable as the 9x Windows can be) had a very unstable ME. OTOH I had a very unstable 98SE and my ME was running fine 😉
So I'd stick with 98SE

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 27, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had too many issues with ME except that it was a obese hog on the drives. Go 98SE and hope that you got the usb working.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 27, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love using 98 on my old system, I despised ME when my dad got it back when I started college. I was so mad real DOS mode was gone...the only real gripe I have with 98's DOS 7.0 is my AWE32 card's sound configuration program thinks it's a DOS "box" and gives me the "cannot be run in Dos Box mode in Windows" message. (Somehow I've Richard-Pryor'ed my way through this with the autoexec.bat and config.sys, a-la Superman III: How did you do that?? I don't know I just ...did it!)

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 8 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

I never had too many issues with ME except that it was a obese hog on the drives. Go 98SE and hope that you got the usb working.

First task, as I remember hammering the CD-RWs to get it up and working years ago!
And now it starts with the msgsvr32 errors.
I just remembered why I was so reluctant to move from a working 95b installation all them years ago.

Reply 9 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like ME for its out of the box high mouse sampling, movie maker and more colors in the systray icons. 😜
I don't like it for its bad tendency to shut down suddenly when there's a general protection error as if it knew nothing

I'd most likely throw ME onto a system with a poor pci or onboard sound card and no ISA where you don't really expect solid DOS compatibility anyway.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I'd most likely throw ME onto a system with a poor pci or onboard sound card and no ISA where you don't really expect solid DOS compatibility anyway.

Ah, now that's an interesting tidbit.
This box is an old HP d530, and indeed has no ISA capability and has on-board sound. I picked this box because it has a 98 supported chipset and can squeeze in 2x Voodoo2 cards with about 2mm clearance, so, SLI box in smallest space possible.
I do have an older box that's been mothballed; P4 1.7, i845 chipset with my old SB16 card in it and a Voodoo 5. I could easily drop the two VD2s in instead and see how that plays with 98.
Last resort is my Dell 200MMX that still has an S3 and my original Orchid Righteous, but that's a monster and I was ideally intending for ths to remain a small box hidden under my desk for when I felt the need for 3dfx loveliness.

Reply 11 of 27, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enigmo wrote:

Last resort is my Dell 200MMX that still has an S3 and my original Orchid Righteous, but that's a monster and I was ideally intending for ths to remain a small box hidden under my desk for when I felt the need for 3dfx loveliness.

I like the way you build! My Optiplex Gs is very similar to that. I even have an Orchid Righteous myself. Everything else is various sound cards crammed in there. AWE32, Ultrasound, Yamaha XG, Roland, and General MIDI. (I felt the need for extreme variety.)

-Difficulty of Assembly-
Processor installation: Not Too Rough
Wiring/optimization of cable space: Hurt Me Plenty
PCI/ISA Card Space: Ultra-Violent
IRQ Settings: Nightmare!

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 12 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:
I like the way you build! My Optiplex Gs is very similar to that. I even have an Orchid Righteous myself. Everything else is var […]
Show full quote

I like the way you build! My Optiplex Gs is very similar to that. I even have an Orchid Righteous myself. Everything else is various sound cards crammed in there. AWE32, Ultrasound, Yamaha XG, Roland, and General MIDI. (I felt the need for extreme variety.)

-Difficulty of Assembly-
Processor installation: Not Too Rough
Wiring/optimization of cable space: Hurt Me Plenty
PCI/ISA Card Space: Ultra-Violent
IRQ Settings: Nightmare!

It's actually my old Dimension P133s, but I fed it a 200MMX and an extra 16MB of their damnably expensive proprietary SDRAM back in the day. Come to think of it, it has an AWE32 as well... And come to think of that, I'm sure I fed that a pair of 8MB 30pin SIMMs.
<hastily makes plans to visit parents>

And do you need that many cards? That much audio sounds like a headache of punny proportions!

Reply 13 of 27, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enigmo wrote:

And do you need that many cards? That much audio sounds like a headache of punny proportions!

I was aiming for turning it into more of an instrument as well as a variety of sound card options. Keyboard Midi controller and all that stuff. Besides, I see empty slots on a board and I just have to utilize them. 😄

Reply 14 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

I was aiming for turning it into more of an instrument as well as a variety of sound card options. Keyboard Midi controller and all that stuff. Besides, I see empty slots on a board and I just have to utilize them. 😄

Sounds like my home server.
Never did find an actual use for that fiber-channel card...

Right, well after a rough evening faffing, both 98se and ME give serious problems when installing. Beginning to suspect a dodgy gfx card. It probably gives a lot away about the state of my store-room when I can be fairly confident I have a spare somewhere! 😁

Reply 15 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No... No... Not a busted card. Seems just the Engineering God has taken a dim view of me poking at what was already working OK and decided to throw some troubleshooting mysteriousness into the mix.

Reply 16 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There has been some enthusiastic support for ME on this board in the past. MDGX also once came up with a utility called 98SE2ME, which adds all the updated components of ME to Windows 98 SE, but I haven't heard anyone speaking of it for a while and I'm not sure if it is worthwhile anymore.

Reply 17 of 27, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use 98SE2ME. I can't really say if it's an improvement over 98SE SP2 (unofficial) but it's nice for a maxed out Win9x rig. Bogs down slower systems though so best to use it with a P4/ Athlon XP or similar.

Reply 18 of 27, by enigmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, for the time being it would seem ME did the business for me. Installed fine on my old retro box while 98 blue-screened repeatedly. Don't know what's wrong with the newer one, but as long as one box is up and running that's all that matters.

Reply 19 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see you have 512 MB of RAM installed. In theory, Windows 98 becomes unstable with that much RAM if it is not properly configured, but there seems to be a general lack of consensus there as well.

It has also been suggested that Windows ME also has better support for WDM drivers and ACPI, but as far as the latter is concerned I think you would probably be better off completely disabling any power management features in the BIOS and the OS to avoid any stability issues there.