VOGONS

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally found the first video card I ever put in a system as an upgrade. It is a radeon 9000 pro 128. I have since bought another one, but i found my old one and tried to use it. I found that upon the installation of drivers that there was something very wrong with it. upon closer inspection i noted that on the back one of the memory chips was crushed in one corner. (probably caused in storage) Now I know it would be very time consuming to repair the card, but i heard somewhere that flashing the bios of a lower memory count card (like the 64mb version) could in theory disable the bad memory chip and restore the cards functionality. My only question is, is this possible? and if so what would i have to do?

my life runs on X86

Reply 2 of 4, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yah i had expected that one. too bad that card wouldn't ship where i am, exact replacement too. I'll just look around for another card.

my life runs on X86

Reply 3 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I say find yourself a Radeon 8500 128MB (not LE edition) instead. It's a bit tricky to ID the non-LE cards though. More powerful than 9000 and have real Truform hardware.

Reply 4 of 4, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will an All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500 128 MB do? I've got one of those lying around in storage, along with a remote and the cables you need for the video capture part of it. Might as well offer it to someone who will make use of it.

It has the same stock clock speeds as the standard Radeon 8500 cards, so no worries about lower performance.