VOGONS

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What will the turbo button do on a typical 430tx chipset mainboard with this connector. Will it disable the cache or drop the bus down to 50mhz? The manual says feature reserved so I am guessing it might not work at all? Anyone have any experience of this main board it is a Gigabyte GA-586TX. I was thinking it could drop my 233mmx down to sub 486 speed with both the turbo off and both caches disabled if it worked.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never seen a functional turbo header on a socket 7 board. Sometimes they include a 'green' header in the same position, but that just puts the whole kit and kaboodle to sleep I think.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 8, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, unfortunately every socket 7 mobo I've seen comes with the turbo "always on" and there is no way to shut it down, at least documentated 🙁

Reply 5 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a dual pentium pro that has a "turbo" option in the bios. labeled "deturbo". I wonder what they were smoking in engineering deparment. Why anyone would buy a $1000 chip and run it at 8mhz? BUT IT GETS BETTER! In the latest bios they changed the default setting to ON.

Oh yea, that was fun to troubleshoot. 1253885876_suicide.gif

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 8, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why are we buy retro stuff for an insane price and wanna run it in half speed? )
If they were smoking smth it helped them to see the future where we need in "deturbo".

P.S.
Man, this gif is driving me crazy!

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 7 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well usually Turbo switches between 66 and 50 MHz FSB on a socket 7 board.
(it would be worthwhile to try what it does, if the board is jumpered to 50 MHz FSB)
On some boards it seems to disable also the chipset caches. (thats NOT L2)

I really wonder what weird S7/SS7 boards you had. Every S7 board I have has working turbo functionality.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I really wonder what weird S7/SS7 boards you had. Every S7 board I have has working turbo functionality.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have ~ 10 Socket 7 boards in my shed ATM - all different - and none of them have a turbo header.