Future Retro PC Project

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

- For windows XP, stay with a 6 series Radeon, so there are at least some driver choices with proper OpenGL. AMD/ATI XP drivers are very problematic regarding compatibility with many classic games.

How about FSAA?

(1) can 6 series Radeon do SSAA?

(2) it seems to me Radeons are better than GeForces for old games... that is, until you enable FSAA. I think it's because ATI had removed SSAA since anything newer than 8500 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Based on my experience on this thread, it seems GeForces have better backward compatibilities with old games. But recently I found something new: Jane's World War II Fighters just doesn't work with new GeForce, while it works on new Radeons.

I think if Radeon 6xxx series can support SSAA, then it is better vidcard for old games than GeForce. How about your own experience? Have you ever experienced any problems with AA on 6xxx series?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 21, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This Future Retro PC did not survived some domestic disputes and so the family computer is now a laptop that still holds the Compaq name.

But I have now a 10yo ally and things are soon to change, however no more budget...
My son "needs" a PC for school so it's up to me to build something cheap for word and email, 🤣

EDIT: So I was a bit sad to trade the G860 and some ram sticks, everything brand new and still in the box, for a second hand laptop, but it had to be done for reasons beyond my comprehension (as stated above).

I found myself with less cash, demotivated and buying a online the first cheap decent second handed combo I could found (sempron + mboard + ram) in order to build a PC just to complete office tasks, with no intention to build the Future Retro PC Project. But now looking at what I got I'm starting to get some hope, here are the specs:

Sempron 2.7GHz
ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2
2x 2GB DDR 1333MHz Kingston

And I kept the 9800GT, though I'm afraid it would be bottle-necked by the sempron.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.