VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got around to digging out my trusty M791G (V1.0a) with DDR support and noticed the bios date was dated 2003. So what do you guys think is the last socket 370 boards to be produced?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

I finally got around to digging out my trusty M791G (V1.0a) with DDR support and noticed the bios date was dated 2003. So what do you guys think is the last socket 370 boards to be produced?

I'm not sure, but this one was probably one of the last ones as s370 was budget by then. It doesn't mean it's one of the best s370 boards though.
I'm unsure about s370 server boards though.

Btw, the BIOS may have been flashed to a later date. If you want to know the production date of the motherboard, the date should be printed on the pcb somewhere (usually something like 1203 meaning 12th month 2003, 0399 meaning 3rd month 1999 etc).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're wondering about the last S370 boards in general, and not just regular PC boards, then it would probably be some sort of specialized 'appliance' machine... for example, I've got a Watchguard Firebox X700 firewall from the latter half of 2006 that uses a custom i815-based board with a S370 Tualatin. Interestingly, the CPU itself was manufactured in 2002, so I guess they were using old-stock chips.

There were also some PIII-based servers available at least into 2003. Dell Poweredge machines and stuff of that sort.

Reply 4 of 5, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still available new even now if you know where to look, you need to look for industrial PC motherboards. For example from a single google search http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/cwenone … t-TJ-8601-.html

There are still users of industrial equipment that might still have ISA slots like the one above, typically manufacturing, and nobody upgrades software or anything they just run it as long as the hardware holds out. The mobos periodically need a replacement but the rest of the system is still used. Some of it still runs DOS or windows 3.11 for instance. They will probably still be available even a decade from now in all honesty because this equipment isn't going away in the market either.