VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive managed to find out how to set my Socket 3 motherboard to 3.45V and get my AM5x86 133 to run at 150MHz.

But the problem is in cooling. I have none of those crappy cpu attach coolers. And the socket 3 cooler handles are really weird:

socket_3.jpg

They are not on the middle at all. What can i do? 😒

Reply 2 of 7, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, i guessed i need the little bracket thingy. I already have such a thing from my 462 socket PC, but the bracket holes are smaller so it cant fit. Kinda really disappointed.

I have many other different sinks but i need that thing i guess.

[EDIT]

Ha! Bought this:
http://static.kupindoslike.com/Ventilator-sa- … a_O_4441529.jpg

Reply 4 of 7, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that was fast. Where did you get it from? That 24/7 Chinese food resto on the next block? Hehe.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I did was this
http://s941.beta.photobucket.com/user/intelte … tml?sort=3&o=80
It's a Socket 7 clip that'll keep the heatsink on the cpu, I just recycled an old passive Socket 7 cpu cooler for the clip and used some generic heatsink 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When all else fails, use aluminum tape!

That's how I secured a heatsink I had removed that was attached with some kind of adhesive paste. The paste was 15 years old and needed to be replaced. There was no place to attach the heatsink as it was meant to be "glued" on to the processor itself.

Luckily, the CPU was mounted on a small PCB which then plugged into the motherboard. So I used aluminum tape to attach the heatsink to the little PCB.