VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have installed GUS PnP drivers and all the stuff from the CD.
The card seems to have a 4MB module installed, it has 8 RAM chips on it.

The problem im having is that midi sounds like crappy M$ General Midi. Everything seems to be set as it should, even installed patches. But still nothing. How do i even use their deck-like player? It just has no load button.

Also, how do i test the memory?
And how can i get the proper MIDI sound?

Reply 1 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What OS are you using?
In windows 9x you have to go into the control panel properties, and Audio or something along those lines, and change the synth device.
At least that's what I seem to recall. (Not in front of a Win9x machine so can't check)

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am using Windows 98SE. I have went to CP and checked default midi device to GUS Synth. Still GM.
Is there a way to check if the sound card has loaded the, has a functional, RAM module inserted?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just noticed the GUS PnP app in the control panel. The memory is indeed 4MB and ive added 1MB more now.

Are there any other Patches available except 4MB one?

Reply 4 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is rather flexible. You can use the classic PAT based folders or the FFF files. There is even a tool in the default installation that allows to compile PAT based soundfonts to FFF files.
And you can setup it this way that one of all setup soundfonts can be chosen on demand with the ultrasound control panel in windows.
Like here on the right:
4.jpg

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont have the Wave Blaster CntrPnl like you, is that program on the installation disc?
Also, where can i find more of these PAT and FFFs? Do you have any suggestions?

Also, just so i dont open an other thread, is an AWE32 worth the buy? I bought 4x 30 pin SIMMs 16MB (still not 100% sure are they 16MB) that i can put into an AWE32 i can also get. Is it worth a try?
Im doing this because its fun to listen to different variations in sound.

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't have a Waveblaster, just ignore this panel. I just wanted to show the Ultrasound Control Panel.
ProPats should be on Vogonsdrivers already.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 7 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pro PATs 1.61? Like for Gravis Ultrasound MAX/Classic ?
I have those. Are there any other?

Also can you reply about AWE32 pls?

Reply 8 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have Win98 available at this moment, but you might have to change the default midi device somewhere in the control panel from the Microsoft synth (the Multimedia icon or something).

Reply 9 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if you already noticed, but I have a ready setup example install folder for GUS PnP on my ftp at ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/Gravis/PnP/installed_folder/
If you look at IW.INI there is a part with

[patch descriptions]
rom_amd_1m=1M ROM Patch Set
amd_4m=4M RAM Patch Set
grav_org=Original UltraSound Patch Set

[vendors]
rom_amd_1m=ROMAMDGM_1_1_
amd_4m=gsfull4m.fff
grav_org=default.fff
default=grav_org

[vendor amd_4m]
gsfull4m.fff=

[vendor grav_org]
default.fff=C:\ULTRASND

This setups the various soundfonts, just check that paths are in compliance with your setup.

AWE32 is ok as SB16 + native Emu8K support. It is only really useful from within Win9x, since you can load Soundfonts there to RAM and you get a more compatible MPU-401 Emulation for the Emu8K. I have also some 16 MB SIMMs originally from a Mac, but they are too thick to fit more than one to any PC SIMM socket. So my AWE32 usually see just 8 MB, if I use any (got enough better solutions).

Youtube Channel