VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dug a CT1350B (Sound Blaster 2.0 rev 0) out of a scrap heap recently and despite there being a sticky note on it that said "no sound", it seems to work fine - it's detected by games and sounds as good as a mono sound card is going to sound.

With later revision sound blasters I've successfully routed my MT32 into the 'line in' jack and adjusted the volume of it with the mixer, but not only does the 2.0 not seem to have a mixer, the line in doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 2.0? OK, so there's no mixer. But if the line in doesn't get played via the line out then what's it for? Recording only? Isn't that what the microphone jack is for?

Thanks for any help and merry christmas!

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Line in is mostly for recording other stuff than voice. Fortunately people realized that rerouting line into out makes sense for people.
I guess they didn't know that with the 2.0 or it is indeed broken.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The line-in on the Sound Blaster 1.5 and 2.0 is for recording only, but can't be mixed through to the Speaker Out. What can you do? Get an external mixer. I ordered a 4 channel Stereo mixer from eBay (came from AUS) for ~ $100. Unfortunately one trimpot was faulty and it's been with the supplier for almost 2 months now 🙁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent, thanks for the help guys. What would I do without vogons?

Good luck with the mixer Mau1wurf, 2 months! I think I'll just tuck this card in the shed for now. I wanted to use it because it was the first sound card I bought as a kid, I must have been 15 or so. It was a budget card at that point - probably around '94 or so - but it rocked my world. Even with those crappy little speakers they use to bundle them with. I vividly remember installing it in my 486SX33 and loading wolf3d for the first time. Wow, I nearly fainted dead away!

Reply 4 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The crappy little 2.0 speakers are what makes the truly retro 😀 I use little 2.0 speakers (though the are new), and it really does add to the retro feeling 😁 Back in the day we didn't have subs yet, though some had a proper Hi-Fi tower...

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried various hi fi speakers / amps with my PC as a kid but they were always cheap crap I'd get from garage sales, etc. But I'm using some new 2.0's at the moment and I like the simplicity of them.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes + another socket for a third chip necessary for CMS support.

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where would one get these chips though? Do they ever come up for sale on eBay, etc?

I know the chip content has been dumped and reproduced but my understanding is that this will work for the revision 1+, not the revision 0 which I have.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

Where would one get these chips though? Do they ever come up for sale on eBay, etc?

I know the chip content has been dumped and reproduced but my understanding is that this will work for the revision 1+, not the revision 0 which I have.

They are very very very rare and likely cost quite a bit.

Best thing to do is get a 1.5. That only needs the two Philips chips and it also doesn't need a -5V PSU for modern PCs.

My YouTube channel