Topic actions

First post, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the only available data:

The cpu speed is 433MHz.
It is on a ZX motherboard.
The PC was assembled in late February, 1999.

Here is what I would like your help to deduct:

1- What are the odds of this being a Mendocino and not a Covington.
2- What are the odds of this being socket 370 and not slot 1.

😊

Reply 1 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1 - Practically 100%
2 - Odds are good that's it's the Socket 370 CPU, but then you wouldn't be posting here if it was a Socket 370 CPU, right? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 31, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be a Mendocino as Covington was only available in 266 and 300 MHz models.

Could be either slot 1 or socket 370. The 433 was the last celeron to be made in Slot 1 form factor.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

2 - Odds are good that's it's the Socket 370 CPU, but then you wouldn't be posting here if it was a Socket 370 CPU, right? 😁

Yes I would ? 😁

DonutKing wrote:

Could be either slot 1 or socket 370. The 433 was the last celeron to be made in Slot 1 form factor.

If only the speed was 466MHz I had not this doubt! 😵 🤣

Tetrium, is it the ZX chipset that inclines you to socket 370?

I realy have no way to know, unless I buy it first and check after 🙁

Reply 4 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please correct me if I'm wrong , but what is the point of having a ZX chipset based motherboard with socket 370 if it can only run Celerons, wtf? 😲

Reply 6 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. 😢

It is just plain depressing, what a waste of good chipset and socket 370 potential...ZX being BX with less ram support and few PCI slots.
It sure looked like a bargain for a tualatin upgrade though... 😒 😖

Maybe it can be a collectors item, like "the most unupgradeable in pc history". I remember vaguely something similar happening with the first Pentium 4, socket 478 was it? Oh well, thanks AMD for supporting socket 7 and for socket 462 also, with very good lifespan IMO... 😅

Edit: It was socket 423, 🤣 what a dead end!

Reply 7 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ZX was designed to be a low cost version of the BX for cheap PC's. It's probably not a big deal if you don't plan on going over 512mb of RAM and you don't mind losing PCI slots or the micro ATX form factor that many ZX based boards used, but if you can get a BX based, full ATX board for the same or less then it's no contest. Go with the BX.

Reply 8 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably not a big deal if you don't plan on going over 512mb of RAM

The 440ZX only supports up to 256MB RAM, actually. But even so, it's not that big of a limitation for a Win9x machine, which is what most people would use such a system for anyhow.

Reply 9 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Filosofia wrote:

Ah, I assumed you already had it in your possession!
I'm inclined to believe it's a Socket 370 because the Socket 370 433Mhz Celerons are more common 😉
It also depends on what it will cost if it's worth it to buy it.
How much will it cost you?

Btw, I've run a Celeron 400 LX-based Socket 370 (also only supports the early Celerons) and it ran very well for what it was. The Celeron 370 boards are by no means bad or unstable. Just not that upgradeable 🤣

Filosofia wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong , but what is the point of having a ZX chipset based motherboard with socket 370 if it can only run Celerons, wtf? 😲

It could be that a particular motherboard manufacturer already had a Socket 370 LX board which was selling well, but they ran out of chipsets to put on the boards.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The 440ZX only supports up to 256MB RAM, actually. But even so, it's not that big of a limitation for a Win9x machine, which is what most people would use such a system for anyhow.

The ZX chipset supports 512mb and it's been known to support 512mb for a long time by the 2001 date of the postings in this thread.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php … then-256meg-RAM

And here is the page linked in the thread detailing the 512mb RAM limit courtesy the Wayback Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20000831062907/htt … ve.co.uk/ZX.htm

"The first main area where the ZX has been reduced in comparison to BX, is it's memory support. The ZX chipset is only capable of handling 4 addressable rows of memory compared to 8 rows on the BX. This means that the ZX chipset can support up to 4 single sided DIMMs or only 2 double sided DIMMS. This is compared to 8 single sided and 4 double sided DIMMs for the BX chipset. This reduces the memory limit of the ZX chipset to only 512 Mb, compared to 1 Gb on the BX."

The original date of this posting to the web of the memory limit is dated August of 2000, so it's even older documentation of a higher memory limit than the forum thread above.

Reply 11 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
The ZX chipset supports 512mb and it's been known to support 512mb for a long time by the 2001 date of the postings in this thre […]
Show full quote
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The ZX chipset supports 512mb and it's been known to support 512mb for a long time by the 2001 date of the postings in this thread.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php … then-256meg-RAM

And here is the page linked in the thread detailing the 512mb RAM limit courtesy the Wayback Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20000831062907/htt … ve.co.uk/ZX.htm

"The first main area where the ZX has been reduced in comparison to BX, is it's memory support. The ZX chipset is only capable of handling 4 addressable rows of memory compared to 8 rows on the BX. This means that the ZX chipset can support up to 4 single sided DIMMs or only 2 double sided DIMMS. This is compared to 8 single sided and 4 double sided DIMMs for the BX chipset. This reduces the memory limit of the ZX chipset to only 512 Mb, compared to 1 Gb on the BX."

The original date of this posting to the web of the memory limit is dated August of 2000, so it's even older documentation of a higher memory limit than the forum thread above.

Does anyone here actually have a ZX board? Then we could simply give it a try! 😁

Edit:I remember there was some misconception about the LX chipset too.
Iirc it supposedly only worked with 128MB modules, even though it works just fine with 256MB modules 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, y'know what, it looks like I was getting the ZX mixed up with the EX. I knew I had an old Celeron board that would only accept 256MB, and dug it out and tried a few DIMMs in it to verify that... but then I took a closer look at it, and yeah, it doesn't have the shitty cut-down version of the BX, it has the shitty cut-down version of the LX.

Though I think it's still worth testing, if someone has a ZX board. The way that EX board behaves, it will accept up to 4 rows of memory, and up to 256MB, whichever comes first. In other words, it'll handle a 256MB DIMM just fine, and it'll handle two 128MB DIMMs just fine, but if you put two 256MB DIMMs in there, or a 256 and a 128 or whatever, you'll still only get 256MB RAM total.

Reply 13 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well theoretically it is 512MB, but I think it does have to do with banks and rows and double sided SDRAM, and the number of slots the particular model of mboard has, so in some cases you might not be able to take advantage of the chipset full capacities, due to stupid design or cost-cutting compromises, and depending on what ram sticks you have in hand.

Tetrium wrote:
Ah, I assumed you already had it in your possession! I'm inclined to believe it's a Socket 370 because the Socket 370 433Mhz Cel […]
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

Ah, I assumed you already had it in your possession!
I'm inclined to believe it's a Socket 370 because the Socket 370 433Mhz Celerons are more common 😉
It also depends on what it will cost if it's worth it to buy it.
How much will it cost you?

Btw, I've run a Celeron 400 LX-based Socket 370 (also only supports the early Celerons) and it ran very well for what it was. The Celeron 370 boards are by no means bad or unstable. Just not that upgradeable 🤣

Filosofia wrote:

It could be that a particular motherboard manufacturer already had a Socket 370 LX board which was selling well, but they ran out of chipsets to put on the boards.

So sk370 433MHz are more common... 😢

The total amount the seller is asking is €10, it includes:
the case, a very ugly one,
probably a flimsy psu, but one of those nonetheless
the ZX board,
the celeron 433 (slot 1 or socket 370 ? 😀 )
and its standard cooler (I expect)
32MB of unknown ram,
a mistery 8MB graphic card,
a sound card designated only by "16",
an 8,4 GB hdd of unknown rpm
the floppy drive
and a whopie 50x cd-rom

so 0.90 a piece ( is it optimist or self-ilusion? 🤣 )

Reply 14 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Ah, y'know what, it looks like I was getting the ZX mixed up with the EX. I knew I had an old Celeron board that would only accept 256MB, and dug it out and tried a few DIMMs in it to verify that... but then I took a closer look at it, and yeah, it doesn't have the shitty cut-down version of the BX, it has the shitty cut-down version of the LX.

Though I think it's still worth testing, if someone has a ZX board. The way that EX board behaves, it will accept up to 4 rows of memory, and up to 256MB, whichever comes first. In other words, it'll handle a 256MB DIMM just fine, and it'll handle two 128MB DIMMs just fine, but if you put two 256MB DIMMs in there, or a 256 and a 128 or whatever, you'll still only get 256MB RAM total.

Did not notice that a new post had been done, so, it might make few sense the way my previous post starts.

@Old Thrashbarg " it doesn't have the shitty cut-down version of the BX, it has the shitty cut-down version of the LX." 🤣 you are right!
I have a LX board, but not an EX, I do tend to like more the "shitty cut-down versions" of everything. The other day was reading some hardware article on Tom's and they wrote, "Aren't the lower-priced cards that made great performance available to the masses just as deserving of honor and respect?"

Reply 16 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

There's a cut down 440LX?

X_X

Here you have sir 😁

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-chipset-gui … eview-12-6.html

What? Sarcasm?! Oh... 😊

Reply 17 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it already made 300km (almost 200miles), and it is know only 100km from me B-) (in my contry it this means it travels half country to get here 🤣 )

Some more info on this powerful beast: it is confirmed to be ppga 🙁 and the mistery behind the graphic card is that it's onboard 😒 , so here you have low-cost at its best.

The thing is, it is factory-sealed for 12-13 years since it was assembled, and I want to open it myself, so no pics from the inside for now...

A ZX board with onboard audio and video, I'm curious, not much info about this boards online. It shoud be Intel740 graphics accelerator!!! yeah!

ppga.JPG

Reply 18 of 31, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well. It might as well be an i810. Bad stuff, most of them did not had an AGP slot.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 19 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's a ZX board, it probably has a Rage Pro on it. And no AGP slot.

Given the February 2000 build date, though, i810 would be a bit more likely, unless they were using old stock... 440ZX boards with onboard graphics weren't that popular to begin with, and they were pretty well made redundant after the 810 came out in the first half of '99.