VOGONS

Can you guess the Celeron?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fillosaurus wrote:

Well. It might as well be an i810. Bad stuff, most of them did not had an AGP slot.

Yes I did have some doubt about this, because it is identified as a ZX board in the warranty certificate 😁 , however the only celeron-ish for this era that I know with integrated graphics is i810. Wayback machine helped providing intel chipset specs from intel site, but is at least confusing, because they mention i740 integrated in the 440ZX, but then on the table it only shows in i810?

Reply 21 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

If it's a ZX board, it probably has a Rage Pro on it. And no AGP slot.

Given the February 2000 build date, though, i810 would be a bit more likely, unless they were using old stock... 440ZX boards with onboard graphics weren't that popular to begin with, and they were pretty well made redundant after the 810 came out in the first half of '99.

They must be using old stock, I mean, 32MB of RAM in 2000?! A Celeron in an all-in-one mboard? This was really extreme low-cost iirc.

If it is Rage pro at least as fog feature, unlike i740. We'll see when it gets here.
Stay tuned for the next episode of "Can you guess what 433MHz ppga mendocino is this?"

Reply 22 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't an i810 have a i751 video and not i740?

The worst part of the i7xx's is the 16-bit color limits and the horrible picture banding. At least its GL icds are good enough to run the more modern builds of Darkplaces.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically, yes, it'd be an i751. But I've often heard/read people refer to the i810 IGP as a 740, even when it's not entirely correct. The two are very closely related, and I guess a lot of people just never really bothered to differentiate them... and considering that they're both pretty epic fail, I can't really blame 'em for not wasting brain cells on such details.

Reply 24 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need your advice. Without AGP and stuck with an i7xx's or Rage Pro, if I would to make this a Voodoo2 system should I bother to upgrade from 433MHz to 533MHz ? What's your opinion?

Reply 25 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There would be a benefit from such an upgrade, yes... the Voodoo2 scales pretty well with CPU performance. But before planning CPU upgrades, you should probably wait until you get the thing in hand and figure out what the board will actually support. If it can handle Coppermine chips, you'd be better off going that route and just skipping the PPGA Celerons entirely.

Reply 26 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My P3 650E system is using a ZX chipset. It has a Matrox G200 onboard and I plugged additionally 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI and an AWE32 or SB16.
Works fast, flawless and reliable. Not much to complain.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

There would be a benefit from such an upgrade, yes... the Voodoo2 scales pretty well with CPU performance. But before planning CPU upgrades, you should probably wait until you get the thing in hand and figure out what the board will actually support. If it can handle Coppermine chips, you'd be better off going that route and just skipping the PPGA Celerons entirely.

That is a very good advice indeed that cheers me up 😁
I thought to be stuck to old celerons with this socket 370 , do you mean they could assemble a ppga cely on a fcpga socket370? Cool! 😎

I think I have some of those P3 around (a 750 and a 1000) and could have a system like elianda, but they're all 133FSB I think...

Reply 28 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

My P3 650E system is using a ZX chipset. It has a Matrox G200 onboard and I plugged additionally 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI and an AWE32 or SB16.
Works fast, flawless and reliable. Not much to complain.

Did not noticed at first it was onboard, so far ZX can have Rage Pro, G200 or i740.

Reply 29 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically it can have any graphics chip a motherboard manufacturer felt like sticking on there. It just happened that the Rage Pro was normally used for such a thing.

Reply 30 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes but I'm surprised to see G200 onboard because it was the chip I played all my 3D games in the 90's. 😠

All this wait is driving me crazy and I've been nagging you all, sorry for that. I'm convinced it is a ZX chipset, but maybe they misprinted it and it can be anything, via , sis and ali also had they go at it so, only next friday I'll be doing a revealing updated to this topic 😁

Reply 31 of 31, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello! Hello! Finally my father drove to the city and today when I entered my living room there was a box on the table.

Some revelations:
1- It is a PC Chips motherboard , a Xcel 2000 ( M741LMRT-H )I'm so happy !!! 😵
2- the chipset is from SiS
3- the onboard graphic is also from SiS , a 620 Yeah! That shares from 2 to 8MB from the 32MB SDRAM stick
4- It only has one ISA slot and one PCI slot!
5 - the onboard sound must be the crappiest of the world
and for now that is it, still researching, 🤣

This PC had never been opened since it was aseembled in late 1999, it is in mint condition.
Also I already found a youtuber showing this mboard running a Celeron 566! So not hope is lost...

EDIT: it does support pentium III, don't know how far though...
🤣 High performance 64 bit 3D AGP Graphics Accelerator
🤣 3D PCI Sound Pro

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.