VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's no single appropriate board for this and no way to squeeze everything into the title...

If I want to capture highest quality lossless video on frequencies which are NOT some standard NTSC or PAL resolution and not modern HDTV, any recommendations on how one would even do such a thing? For instance anything over 60hz (like the 70hz common in earlier PC games from direct X 5 up) or CGA, or EGA, or Hercules, or doulbed NTSC/PAL modes from amiga, or 70hz 640x400 atari ST, or those 76hz Macintosh modes from around the Mac 2 era... how would one go about capturing this stuff at high quality?

Assume that emulation is not an option, and I don't desire to transcode to 60hz before ripping if I can help it. Things like PC demos or early games on various systems are the main target. How would you do it?

Reply 1 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Talk to elianda. He has the best (at least to my knowledge) video capturing card. Cost a fortune but just watch his YT videos 😀

Cheaper options are VGA to S-Video conversions, using cards with composite or S-video out of just filming with a camera.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't me and Elianda got the same card?

Might wanna check out this thread: Re: Capturing below 640x480 resolutions and CGA/EGA on the Avermedia Gamebroadcaster HD

A VGA capture card + http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-ega-yuv- … l?sef_rewrite=1 should in theory capture everything. Haven't tested the combo though in terms of quality.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Don't me and Elianda got the same card?

No, you have the AverMedia right?

He has a different one (dig up his old thread). It can do any refresh rate, so he can capture 72Hz videos and the video files play 100% smooth if your display can also display that refresh rate.

I also totally forgot that I got this VGA to HDMI scaler which also does DOS 320 x 200. Haven't properly tested it yet though, because of lack of HDMI capturing gear...

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because you mentioned DOSBox. Before I was using S-Video captures in my videos, I did a few using DOSBox. And if you combine a real MT-32 with DOSBox video capture you get, what I consider, perfect YT videos.

If you switch them to full screen and at leat 480p, it's as if you're running DOSBox on your machine.

An example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8VvLRV3fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP1hFaQ_iJM

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 8, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want to look into these capture cards.

It has a reputation for accepting unusual analog signal types. People on the Shmups Forum have connected all sorts of arcade boards to it with great success, the only issues being cut-off parts of the screen in some instances.

The review states that it accepts 50 Hz VGA without problem. I'm not sure if that luck extends to refresh rates OVER 60 Hz, but I'll give it a shot whenever mine arrives on my doorstep already.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's awesome 😀 Keep us updated please...

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 8, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That Startech PEXHDCAP looks interesting due in part the price, i'd really love to know if it will capture framerates other than 60hz or 50hz though... (both higher and lower) Reading the SHMUPS page seemed to indicate it wouldn't capture at the native 54hz framerate though. 🙁

Using a "VGA to TV" converter just forces a PC output to 60hz and only works for PC - it doesn't let me capture non-60hz video, meaning every frame without dropping frames or stuttering it like the 24-to-60fps movie conversions do. It also forces it 'down to DVD quality', i'm looking for something to capture games, demos, and other outputs at above DVD resolutions and above 60fps framerates at times. (not always at the same time)

I'm wondering whether it would do things like some of the Amiga 4000 doubleNTSC doublePAL modes, the 70hz Atari ST "high res" mode, some of the oddball Macintosh II fixed modes which I think are up to 85hz and similar. Even if I cant grab the highest 2048 PC res or 1080p 60fps rates it's a serious step up in the ability to record obscure games and demos on a bunch of retrosystems.