VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although I toyed briefly with GLIDE wrappers awhile back and found them eye-openingly impressive, I haven't touched them in years being too busy to game. Near as I could tell they did EVERYTHING that the real Voodoo cards did, just potentially much better - forcing higher resolutions, 32bit color, possibly other things.

Or did they? Could someone with better familiarity than me comment on that? I remember hearing of the "22bit color" of the 3dfx cards which offered smoother graphics, at the expense of sharpness. I wonder whether this feature (or bug depending who you talked to) has ever been emulated for instance. Or whether there are any other special abilities which would give a person a want to have a real 3dfx card for anything except nostalgia.

I ask because my 5500 seems to have had the RAM die at some point, discovered when I pulled it out of storage. 🙁

Can one build an ultimate GLIDE gaming rig, playing everything that ever was playable in GLIDE without compromise, or even better than it originally could play (on even a voodoo 5 6000) using the wrappers? Including the DOS only games? The only games I ever tried with a wrapper were Need for Speed 2se and 3 but seeing them in 1600x1200 with the fading raindrops on the windshield as far as I could tell looked perfect at the time.

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just about any Windows game that truly supported Glide will run well with nGlide. Only a handful of games and demos will not. Lots of games support 3dfx cards in the sense that they use Direct3D or OpenGL and work with a 3dfx card.

The "22-bit" color rendering was an aproximation of how the Voodoo 3 cards handled 32-bit color. Any Voodoo could handle 16-bit color, but the Voodoo 3 did not quite have true 32-bit functionality. Voodoo 4 and 5 cards could hanle 32-bit color without compromises. Since this was a distinctive feature of the Voodoo 3's output, I doubt anyone has ever sought to emulate it. True 32-bit support will always look better.

Some people can put together systems that contain a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 5 card so they can run DOS games that refuse to run on a Voodoo 2 and have the Voodoo 5 for 32-bit color, 4xFSAA and fast Glide support.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 5, by Alexandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been very impressed with nGlide. It doesn't have many configuration options but it does have exactly the most important ones, high resolution and vsync among them.

Regarding 3dfx's "22-bit" color (a term which I believe was used with the V2 as well) for me the classic example is the rocket trails in Quake III. Fire off a rocket while standing still and look through the layers of smoke it leaves. On real hardware you'll see a fair bit of dithering thanks to the non-32-bit color depth.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo dither stuff could be done in a shader. Whether anyone wants to sacrifice some sanity to write a double lookup post-process shader is another question 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alexandra wrote:

Regarding 3dfx's "22-bit" color (a term which I believe was used with the V2 as well) for me the classic example is the rocket trails in Quake III. Fire off a rocket while standing still and look through the layers of smoke it leaves. On real hardware you'll see a fair bit of dithering thanks to the non-32-bit color depth.

What's that got to do with this term? 22-bit simply means that the RAMDAC filtered the 16-bit image to smooth it out. The reason those trails look horrible on 16-bit color hardware is that id was obviously not giving a damn about how the game looked on then-"outdated" cards. If you play Unreal Engine 1 games the effect is far less pronounced.