VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so I need a monitor for an old 5x86-133 based PC. I'm currently in my father's flat away from all my PCs except this one and pulling my old hp 56 CRT from home and then pulling it back is not what I would love to do.

I browsed local websites and found:

Proview MA-482 14" LCD (1024x768)
LG Flatron F730b 17" CRT
Sony Trinitron E100 15" CRT
NEC MultiSync FE770 17" CRT

LG and NEC are dirt cheap, Sony is too expensive for a CRT (30USD), Proview is cheap for LCD (35USD). I checked out other monitors as well, but they are either ugly or damaged or pricey.

What would you pick for DOS applications?

Reply 1 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use an Eizo L365, pretty good for an early LCD.

Edit: Oh you mean from your choices? For DOS applications CRTs are optimal so if nothing is wrong with the Sony pick that... actually if all of those CRTs are cheap and work fine (test them before buying if possible) you can't go wrong with any of them I think 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
Okay, so I need a monitor for an old 5x86-133 based PC. I'm currently in my father's flat away from all my PCs except this one a […]
Show full quote

Okay, so I need a monitor for an old 5x86-133 based PC. I'm currently in my father's flat away from all my PCs except this one and pulling my old hp 56 CRT from home and then pulling it back is not what I would love to do.

I browsed local websites and found:

Proview MA-482 14" LCD (1024x768)
LG Flatron F730b 17" CRT
Sony Trinitron E100 15" CRT
NEC MultiSync FE770 17" CRT

LG and NEC are dirt cheap, Sony is too expensive for a CRT (30USD), Proview is cheap for LCD (35USD). I checked out other monitors as well, but they are either ugly or damaged or pricey.

What would you pick for DOS applications?

I did try to play some DOS games on a 17'' CRT but with resolutions under 800x600 don't feel natural to me.

My advice, wait a while and try to find a cheaper 15'' CRT, a shadow mask one would be very cheap and would be perfect.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 3 of 7, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found professional IBM P76 Mod.6550-T3N/2001 for cheap... it weights 19 kilos and I want that beast so much 😁
283807107.jpg

There's also a cool Siemens Nixdorf MCM 1705 model, but IBM is SO DAMN BRUTAL!!!
275429806.jpg

Reply 5 of 7, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an IBM for 12 USD! The monitor was in good working condition, with two little cracks in the plastic frame of the screen, nothing serious.

After a substantional cleaning with dishwashing liquid, it looks like this. I still did not light it up since I'm afraid several drops of water I used for cleaning got inside.

I'm so happy! The monitor is big and solid and brutal! Has some real retro taste due to strange box-like design 😀 And the reflections are violet/blue, that also drives me crazy 😀

P1010341.JPG

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2013-03-10, 15:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like an FD Trinitron with its distinctive anti-glare coating. Nice.

In general, you want FD Trinitron or Diamondtron NF-based monitors, preferably 21" or greater if you can find 'em. It's hard to go back to smaller monitors after laying eyes on one of those, especially when they can hit 1600x1200 at 95 Hz, maybe more!

The only problem with the larger monitors is, well, weight. Aperture grilles weigh more for a given size than shadow masks do, and the 21" models are around 70 lbs. The renowned Sony GDM-FW900 weighs over 90 lbs.! Make sure you've got a friend with you if you go to pick one of those up, along with a VERY sturdy desk.