VOGONS

First post, by madpanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to go down the rabbit hole of old gaming pc's.

Right now I have an ibm aptiva (don't know the model, at work) motherboard with a p2/300 and ~350 megs of ram. It has 3 pci slots and a few ISA.

Will this be sufficient to run build engine games depending on graphics card?

I only tried playing a bit of shadow warrior and it seemed fine but this was before loading win98 and without sound and low res.

I've been looking at an mx4000 which might be overkill but its cheap and has passive cooling.

The system came with an ati (i think) 2d card and a monster 3d ii, but I don't have the cable to try it out yet.

Would upgrading to win2k pro be a good idea? I ran it for a long time when it was current and enjoyed the stability. I don't remember having many gaming issues with it.

Also I'm using CF->IDE adapters for the hard drive(s), will the read speed eventually become a bottleneck? I already know writing has been a bit slow and I've been packing them up just incase something goes wrong.

I stumbled across this site on accident while searching for old pc information and its been really helpful. So much information though kind of put me into analysis paralysis so I figured I would just make a thread.

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
madpanda wrote:

Would upgrading to win2k pro be a good idea?

For Build engine? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Generally, stay away from NT-based OSes if you're going to build a machine to play DOS games in their native form...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^
And I think that machine should be perfect for build engine games. I use a Pentium MMX 200MHz with a Matrox Mystique 220 and it runs Duke3d like a dream. Would also be nice for early Windows and Glide games with that Monster 3d II.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.