VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 683 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Nvidia GTX 980 without dgVoodoo, there's transparent parts on the ground/enemy planes and glitchy looking sky.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 684 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the current WIP (just use the 2.43 setup):
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP4.zip

I can't remember exactly what I changed since the last version but what are coming to my mind right now are:

- fixed some surface/D3D device related bugs
- added 24bit software surface support
- added support for DXT1-5 compressed textures but the mandatory built-in DDraw support for converting between them is not ready yet
- ? sg other else

These changes affect the following games I was testing:

- Variable Custom (works)
- Rally Championship (works, but I cannot see any difference between PAL8 enabled/disabled through dgVoodoo, alpha effects seem just fine in both cases; it doesn't work natively though, as VirtuaIceMan said)
- Gabriel Knight 3 (isn't perfect; it starts and renders well but I constantly get driver crashes at some points but I don't have a clue why: everything seems to be fine; another bug I noticed is seeing-through objects, bad z-order, will check it later)
- NoOne Lives Forever (works)
- Deadly Dozen (Game rendering is OK except one lighting issue that I will check later BUT the game doesn't sense mouse clicks and pressing the ESC button when in mission- WTF??)
- Zero Divide (now D3D rendering device types are changeable, works OK)

I can't remember anything else now.

Edit:
- Colin McRae resolution setting issue is fixed

Reply 685 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alien Vs Predator 2 works now. The demo anyway, but being the same problem as NOLF, you probably guessed as much.

Disciples II works now (in both ddraw and d3d modes).

The last display glitch in Magic & Mayhem is gone, so that seems perfect now.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms now works perfectly in ddraw mode (correctly enumerates resolutions now, didn't on 2.43).

Icewind Dale II has less artifacts now (still far from playable though).

Also things you fixed lately: Carcassonne from Koch Media didn't work in 2.42 (sprite transparency issues). It works in 2.43.

Reply 687 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Baku Baku Animal (DirectDraw only, as ancient!) almost does something with dgVoodoo; without it on my Win8.1 machine it crashes when the game launches; with dgVoodoo you can hear music/sound effects, but you have a black screen.

On my work PC with Win7 and ATI graphics the game works, but it uses 256 colour cycling (Desktop changes colours 🤣) which might be why it crashes on my home Nvidia card.

Be nice if it could be coaxed into working 😉

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 688 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Virtual On works with dgVoodoo, but you can't easily get into the menus (usually pressing the alt key) as you need to always set the framerate from Fast to Smooth at the start of the game. You can get to this menu by pressing F5, but then the game shrinks to a small window in the top-left of the screen...

Without dgVoodoo, using the NoGDIHWAcceleration fix, the game will work, but the top menu is always visible (same issue in Virtual Fighter 2, but VF2 just crashes with dgVoodoo).

Actually the top-menu not working issue affects a number of Sega games: Daytona USA, Daytona USA Deluxe, Virtua Cop 2 (tends to crash a lot, especially if you try to select Direct3D, although sometimes you manage to)

Reply 689 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, another report! All games tested with "dgVoodooWIP4"

Arcanum
Without dgvoodoo runs at 3 fps, with dgvoodoo now is playable at 35 fps, sometimes a black box can appear in the middle of the screen

Daytona
Runs with a strange delay, 30 seconds to screen to screen

Last Bronx
Ok but too fast

NBA Action 98
Black screen with or without dgvoodoo

Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga Windows version
Without dgvoodoo 30 fps, with dgvoodoo I have this message "DirectDraw Error DIBmakeDIB DDERR_INVALIDCAPS"

Virtua Cop 1
perfect at 35 fps

Tachyon The Fringe
Perfect at 60 fps

Lego Alpha Team
Perfect at 60 fps but no sound (?)

Lego Island 2
Crash at first cinematic with or without dgvoodoo

Lego Loco
Menu intro ok at 36 fps, but if I click on the bag, fps can arrive at 2 fps! I think there is a problem about 2D objects
http://i.imgur.com/KuByO8l.jpg

MiG-29 Fulcrum
Perfect at 40 fps

Sega Gt
Crash with or without dgvoodoo

The House of the Dead 2
Perfect at 50 fps

Toy Story 2
Without dgvoodoo I got this message "Soft Abort D:\projects\toy\direct6.cpp Line 103" Unable to enumerate a suitable device". This path doesn't exist, with dgvoodoo near perfect, the game is stuck at 36 fps and it's impossible to do some particular jumps.

UEFA Champions League - Season 1999-2000
Without dgvoodoo only menu, with dgvoodoo menu ok but only in windowed mode, then crash, distorted music/sound (WTF?)

Hexen 1 Windows 95 version
Ok but stuck at 32/36 fps

Gabriel Knight 3
With dgvoodoo almost perfect, 60 fps but sometimes 35/40 for no reason. Disabled "Incremental Rendering". If enabled I can see through objects.

Reply 691 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arklay wrote:

Last Bronx
Ok but too fast

Last Bronx, press F4 and set Frame Control to None, should be correct speed now now, as long as your graphics card runs at 60hz and not higher.

However, ever since WinXP without dgVoodoo, any video in Last Bronx (e.g. under Game Settings then Movie will crash to Desktop).

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-04-30, 22:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 692 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sonic R is an interesting case. You have to use the sonicr-patched.exe detailed here: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2013/04/09/sonic-r/ but then you DON'T need to use the DXWND workaround to get the keyboard to work IF you use dgVoodoo, you can just run sonicr-patched.exe without a batch file, etc.

HOWEVER, all the 2D textures have corruption around their edges, as though they're offset by 1 pixel (using either WIP4 or the 2.43 release). They also look quite pixelated (e.g. intro Sega logo, Travellers' Tales logo, menu items, in-game the HUD items and backdrop images. However textures on 3D objects in-game look fine.

p.s. somewhere along the way, sonicr-patched.exe seems to have had an ACT fix, DWM8And16BitMitigation, applied to it. Not sure if this is necessary or not.

Reply 693 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arklay wrote:

Sega Gt
Crash with or without dgvoodoo

It crashed for me, until I cycled the options to W Buffer, then it worked with that or with Z Buffer. However there's break-up around text items/bitmap items (similar to Sonic R), but more importantly, in-race you can only see the car and fog/lens flares (on night tracks), but no other scenery textures, it's all black!

Reply 694 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another game with noticeable breakup around 2D texures is VR Sports Powerboat Racing, which we've spoke about previously, you can see lines appearing around the (transparent box surrounding) letters as they zoom in-and-out on the menu screens.

Reply 695 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As mentioned before, Sega Worldwide Soccer WILL allow Direct3D version to run (apply Win98 compatibility to all .exe files first), however all the menus and overlays will be missing, so if you keep bashing Enter repeatedly you can go into a match, but you can't tell what you're doing up until that point!

Reply 698 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
Mud wrote:

Dege can you add to dgVoodoo frame limiter?

I'd like the ability to set the refresh rate too, as it defaults to 60hz but my monitor will do 120 or 144 too.

Reply 699 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
Mud wrote:

Dege can you add to dgVoodoo frame limiter?

I'd like the ability to set the refresh rate too, as it defaults to 60hz but my monitor will do 120 or 144 too.

That's already an option. Enumerate refresh rates (on general tab) + Resolution dropdown box (on DirectX tab).