VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 340 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

Sadly, AMD CCC doesn't have the override setting. I'm using Radeon 5770 with latest drivers (14.12). 😵

It does. The option is greyed out for some reason unless you set your desktop to a non native resolution.

file.php?id=16716

You can also try this tool:
http://www.xgamingstudio.com/files/ATIGPUScalingFix-Win7.zip (run with admin rights)

Attachments

• Filename
    gpuscaling.jpg
    File size
    123.92 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 341 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:

It does. The option is greyed out for some reason unless you set your desktop to a non native resolution.

Override=enable? I didn't know that. Anyway, I had it enabled already. It works fine in other stuff, but not with dgVoodoo.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 342 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right I tried Test Drive 6 and it works fine now! No missing triangles either... there is one issue however; the resolution only goes up to my maximum (2560x1440) in 16 bit colour in the game's Video menu, however if I try the 32 bit colour options, they top out at 1024x768. Also if I use 2560x1440 then the game draws at 4:3 (probably how it did it anyway as it's old) but the top of the map HUD item is invisible. At 1920x1440 (the correct 4:3 ratio) it's fine.

Anyway, lovely stuff, I look forward to re-trying more old games with it! However I'm on a re-installing games binge first (to get all the CDs moved into one wallet), so I'll report back later on about any other fixes...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 343 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, Final Racing (Cyber Space 2001 Hot Blood Edition!) still doesn't work, it says:

DirectDraw Error DDERR_GENERIC
in file C:\dxsdk\sdk\samples\Agame2\Directx.cpp at line 143

It's not a great game... and needs d3drm.dll (retained mode D3D, old skool)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 344 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more, for completeness; Incoming (which has some elements transparent, e.g. some alien ship textures) and some bad cutting around the edge of transparent items (clouds, explosions) still won't work, saying "Getting the current display mode failed. Generic failure."

And another: Need For Speed 2 Special Edition - the 3Dfx version works fine for me in nGlide (with the various fixes applied in ACT from the nGlide site), however the non-3D NFS2SEN.EXE would always crash. It works with dgVoodoo, but is very jerky in-game, regardless of how I set the DirectX tab (accelerated 3D or SVGA, amount of RAM, blit thing on or off). Just letting you know! There might be other compatibility tweaks to get this working natively though, I haven't played with it much yet... it crashes nvd3dum.dll without dgVoodoo (in Event Viewer).

Reply 345 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Override=enable? I didn't know that. Anyway, I had it enabled already. It works fine in other stuff, but not with dgVoodoo.

Ok, I finally decided to introduce default (unspecified) scaling. It does not work for me however (old driver old something), but may do for others.
I shared a new version to test this, I would like to put and end to this issue.

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodooWIPScaling.zip

I still have 1080p problems in Total Annihilation and I've tested and I get the same problem if I select 1080p in Tiberian Sun or Soul Reaver too.

Basically games have black bars on the left, right and bottom sides. Graphics are distorted. Cursor position is misplaced and reaching the bottom and right sides of the screen is impossible.

Unspecified scaling might help that.

Reply 346 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VirtuaIceMan, thanks for the report!

the resolution only goes up to my maximum (2560x1440) in 16 bit colour in the game's Video menu, however if I try the 32 bit colour options, they top out at 1024x768.

The same with native DX, so it is the issue of the game itself. But it all not so important because there is no really difference between 16 and 32 bit modes through dgVoodoo.

Reply 347 of 3949, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bad news for Lego Island (uses managed direct 3d, d3drm.dll), game won't start with the dll's in the game folder (config.exe runs but doesn't list dgVoodoo). I'm pretty sure the game pulls the list of Direct 3D devices from the registry.

lego-island-dgvoodoo24.png
Filename
lego-island-dgvoodoo24.png
File size
24.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Lego Island attempt with ddraw.dll and D3Dlmm.dll installed.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 348 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Ok, I finally decided to introduce default (unspecified) scaling. It does not work for me however (old driver old something), but may do for others.
I shared a new version to test this, I would like to put and end to this issue.

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodooWIPScaling.zip

No success here. 😢

Reply 349 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

I still have 1080p problems in Total Annihilation and I've tested and I get the same problem if I select 1080p in Tiberian Sun or Soul Reaver too.

Basically games have black bars on the left, right and bottom sides. Graphics are distorted. Cursor position is misplaced and reaching the bottom and right sides of the screen is impossible.

Unspecified scaling might help that.

That makes no sense, scaling shouldn't have much to do with input. It does fix it though 😜
If you know what's going on, it would be interesting to me.

Septerra Core and Shogo both fail with graphic glitches. Shogo might be interesting as there looks to be a few things wrong with it. Not important games since they both run nicely on modern OSes (well not out of the box).

Populous The Beginning would in software mode if it weren't for unrecoverable mouse focus loss at mode changes. You can play the first level (it runs pretty great). GoG's D3D build does not work at all.

Silver seems to run pretty well. Only retail version though, forget about the GoG version.

Reply 350 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd love to run Shogo properly on my main rig. This game doesn't support the 32-bit color mode, so it looks bad with modern GPUs (DX10+). On the other hand, Shogo has problems (glitchy HUD) with older (DX9) GeForce cards.

Reply 351 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm? It doesn't look that bad, see attachement (that looks mostly bad because of lack of aa and texture filtering).

Attachments

Reply 355 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested with dgVoodooWIPScaling

Monster Truck Madness 2 demo works good in D3D with DGVoodoo. Without DGVoodoo it won't go to fullscreen mode.
Release Notes state DX 5.2

Virtua Cop 2 unable to enter fullscreen mode without dgvoodoo but can use menu options.
With DGVoodoo (logo does appear). The game goes fullscreen but when using menu options the game crashes.

Shadows of the Empire.
Without dgvoodoo have to run in 95 compat mode otherwise unable to pick resolution
With 95 compat mode only able to pick highest resolution of 1280x1024.
With dgvoodoo no compat mode required, highrest res is res of my monitor and game works fine.

Shogo Mobile Armor Division 2.1 Demo
Screen jitters during game menus.
Screen jitters during game and also no textures....game actually looks kind of cool like that.

Enough testing tonight!

Thanks for all the hard work Dege.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 356 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Really? I can pretty easily. It doesn't bother me though.

You're looking for color banding.

It's the 8bit-paletted texture decade-old problem 😁
Only Intel GPUs today have the support for that old standard.

Please join 😁 http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=394995

Reply 358 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mad Trax by Rayland works in DX with dgVoodoo, without it it just generates a text file saying DirectX not found. However it looks better using Glide than D3D IMO...

This is using the latest scaling version that Dege put on here. With previous versions Extreme-G2 wouldn't work for me.

However I've got a few things that don't work for me... Resolution changes in Glide or DX don't change in-game (stays native resolution), nor does ticking the 3Dfx watermark (stays on) or 3Dfx splash screen (doesn't work), however changes to antialiasing in DX and DX watermark DO work. Maybe for the Glide stuff it's a clash with nGlide that I also have installed, I'm not sure. But Resolution in DX does nothing for me at the very least.