VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 660 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One interesting one: Taxi 2 Le Jeu (based on the Luc Besson comedy), I ran the demo successfully years ago on Win98, but it never worked on XP. With your wrapper the demo works fine on Win8.1!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 661 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

One interesting one: Taxi 2 Le Jeu (based on the Luc Besson comedy), I ran the demo successfully years ago on Win98, but it never worked on XP. With your wrapper the demo works fine on Win8.1!

Great to hear!!

BTW, I picked up Zero Divide from Arklay's list to see why it crashes before entering a game.
After hours of debugging I realized that the bug is not in dgVoodoo but in the game: it does a lot of magic stack allocations which ends up in too small portions for modern DirectX, causing inner stack overflow.

I've just created a patch to get the game running with dgVoodoo:
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/ZeroDividePatch.zip

Reply 662 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got 2 more for you to think about: F1 World Grand Prix (99) and WARM UP!, both of which use the same engine. They work fine but only at 30fps, however using either the modified DDRAW.dll approach or your wrapper, both crash after the opening videos (when the menu should appear).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 663 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More good news, for the first time since pre-WinXP, you can clean up the graphical errors that occur in Sega Marine Fishing using dgVoodoo! Without it, the Options menu will show no content, there will be breaking textures in various places, and the water will overlap everything. Additionally the fog will make it impossible to see underwater. To fix all this is slightly fiddly though, as follows:

1. Run the setup file (jssetup,exe) in the game's folder, click Graphics and make sure "simulate T&L Angular Calculation through DIrect3D HAL" is UNTICKED.
2. Set up the rest of the game as you wish.
3. Run the game from it's shortcut (or from ocean_pc.exe in the game's folder). When you do, you'll see a "Select Display" pop-up which cycles through the following options:
- Software RGB Device wanted? = no, will crash
- Software MMX Device wanted? = no, will crash
- dgVoodoo HAL (Direct3D HAL) wanted? = YES, USE THIS ONE ONLY!
- dgVoodoo TnL HAL (Direct3D HAL) wanted? = no, will still show glitches
- your graphics card name (Direct3D T&L HAL) wanted? = no, will still show glitches

Reply 664 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

However, Sega GT (ported by the same team I think, as it too is glitchy) shows every texture as black, apart from the car/lights (on night tracks) when racing :-p

Reply 665 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Got 2 more for you to think about: F1 World Grand Prix (99) and WARM UP!, both of which use the same engine. They work fine but only at 30fps, however using either the modified DDRAW.dll approach or your wrapper, both crash after the opening videos (when the menu should appear).

Not related to dgVoodoo2, but if a game is locked to exactly 30 FPS under Win8, you need the NoGDIHWAcceleration ACT fix.

Reply 666 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Not related to dgVoodoo2, but if a game is locked to exactly 30 FPS under Win8, you need the NoGDIHWAcceleration ACT fix.

I meant this error/issue: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

Not tried your flag though, may need to experiment with that one.

Reply 668 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually you're right, WARM UP! does work. Although the heat haze effect behind the cars looks like a mirror (can't see through it) and there's not much in the way of car shadows.

Reply 669 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I meant this error/issue: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

Not tried your flag though, may need to experiment with that one.

Interesting... I just tried the NoGDIHWAcceleration fix and it's BETTER than the blitzbasic one, as you can still see videos (at least in Carmageddon TDR2000, I'll need to try more games now). Good stuff...

Reply 670 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just some more things: Incoming is MUCH better with dgVoodoo than without it!

International Rally Championship has the same issue with or without dgVoodoo - press escape in the game brings up the menu text, but you can't see it!

Reply 671 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back again... Need For Speed II Special Edition comes in 2 flavours, the NFS2SEA.exe (Glide version), which can be made to run smoothly (with nGlide and probably dgVoodoo) using ACT fixes: CorrectFilePaths, EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace, GlobalMemoryStatusLie and SingleProcAffinity...

However the non-Glide version is another matter! Again, applying those ACT settings, the game will crash, so I add dgVoodoo's DX components and then all will work, but it's VERY slow in-game, jerky. Not sure if this is something to do with dgVoodoo's SVGA performance or not, but just noting it!

Interestingly, as I can swap my monitor between 60hz, 120hz and 144hz with a button, the game is much smoother (but still jerky) at 144hz, compared to 60hz (where you can see notable screen tearing too).

Reply 672 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more: Road Wars by Interactive Visions/Phenom, the version I have is 1.0 and if you enable Chrome mapping in the game, then the cars become transparent (feature that's not on modern graphics cards). However with dgVoodoo it's even weirder! The chrome mapping looks great, but the entire 3D scene (apart from the cars) looks blurry/interlaced, with all buildings being flickery and see through, very odd, and quite hard to explain!

p.s. there was a German 1.1 demo, which the chrome mapping seemed to behave a bit better (on my old XP machine), but there's seemingly no 1.1 patch for the English version of the game.

p.s. my copy is from Selectsoft (US) who repackaged it.
p.p.s. the game relies on having d3drm.dll to work (which I copied in from elsewhere), not sure if that has an effect...

Reply 673 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last one for today: Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing only runs in a window, then crashes when you try pressing any key to start - the text is also missing on this page.

Reply 678 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't see too much difference.

Altough I didn't check it, I guess it all has to do with colorkeyed bitmap drawing with stretching (a scenario that should be avoided as much as possible).
dgVoodoo's colorkeying method is very like nVidia's. I don't know how it looks natively on an AMD.

incoming.png

Reply 679 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Incoming was one of the first 3D games, so they probably were using techniques that have since been frowned upon or dropped.

Dege, do you know when you might release a new dgVoodoo? It'll be first time since ye olde days that Rally Masters can run with smoke/lights/etc if the Pal8 part's now supported!