Rank
Oldbie

Hi, Im building a computer for DOS games and emulators. Sorry my english

Is a:

Pentium 2 333mhz
64mb ram
Voodoo 3
SB AWE64

Is working great!! 80% of games run without any trouble, and from the other 20% half are very easy to solve with slowdown software (cpucache, throttle and moslo)

I use xmgr+umbpci

I have two questions:

FIRST:

- Some games ask for EMS memory, then i solve this problem with a nice software called "emsmagic", but some games, only two, have problems or don't load, because the 64mb ram

The Chaos engine HANGS
T2 Arcade Game say "Not enough memory"

Then to check, i build a 486 DX4-100mhz, with 16mb ram, and both games run perfect!! then i upgrade the ram to 64mb, using 4x16mb simms, and... problem!! The chaos engine hangs, and T2 not open

Then is not a problem of the CPU, is a problem of 64mb... 🙁

There is a way to "fake" the amount of ram for this games?

SECOND:

I remember... many many years ago, i use a application for DOS, that record keystrokes, and then plays when load from, command promt.. even work inside games and emulators

For example, in genecyst, the megadrive emulator, every time you open the emulator, you need to type "ALT+E and ALT+H" to activate some options

I remember with this application, i record this actions in a file, and then i load from bath file, something like this:

nameofsoft.exe -load genecyst.key
genecyst.exe

Then, this batch open genecyst, and type ALT+E and ALT+H automatically

I don't remember the name of the application... i download a lot from simtel... no luck....

help!! jaja

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
theelf wrote:

Then is not a problem of the CPU, is a problem of 64mb... 🙁

There is a way to "fake" the amount of ram for this games?

So you need to restrict the amount of RAM to 16 MB? HIMEMX (with the MAX switch) should do it. Alternatively, you can use XMSDISK to make a large RAM disk. You also might have a "Memory Hole at 15 MB" option in your BIOS that would limit your RAM to 15 MB.

I have no idea about the keystroke application.

(I didn't know EMS Magic worked in plain DOS.)