VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am curious about whether there are certain games or for that matter hardware (probably early proprietary stuff) which FORBID 60hz gaming and thus may be a challenge to capture with the most common video capture hardware.

This includes everything from the dawn of the PC to about the XP era after which everything allowed freedom of resolution that I know of.

For instance the Hercules graphics adapter was apparently 50hz - no matter what. Not many games used it (though one used it as a secondary monitor, Back to Baghdad i just found out) though perhaps it would capture with PAL type settings.

All CGA and EGA are 60hz. VGA I always thought was 60hz but apparently 640x400 and 320x200 are 70hz - so i'd imagine capturing this might be a problem afterall. I'd always thought typical games were 320x240 though...

SVGA and the early 3d accelerators is where things get tricky. Were there any games that, as programmed in software and menus who at any higher resolution REQUIRED a higher refresh like 70hz or 75hz? (no option for 60hz)

The Rendition 3d accelerators apparently played certain games at 75hz only possibly all games. Worse they would switch frequencies while playing between menus and 3d gameplay! 😜 (i've no clue what that will do to a capture card)

The S3 Virge 3d decelerators apparently wanted to play at 70hz, possibly all? Ie I cant find out if even normal VGA-ish modes like 640x480 were then at 70hz as well.

Mostly i'm trying to find if there's ever been something outside of the seeming standards of 50, 60, 70, and 75hz that might require an oddball or custom capture solution since i'm hoping to start doing some retrogame playthrough stuff on youtube sometime soon focusing on rare and obscure titles. Although it's technically off topic for the board, if anyone just knows offhand of any other arcade, retrocomputer or retroconsole which actually used frequencies outside of this they could comment as well. (for instance some japanese shooters apparently run 56hz refresh in the arcade - i've no clue why or what alleged advantage that would have)

Reply 1 of 1, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hifidelitygaming wrote:

All CGA and EGA are 60hz. VGA I always thought was 60hz but apparently 640x400 and 320x200 are 70hz - so i'd imagine capturing this might be a problem afterall. I'd always thought typical games were 320x240 though...

Capturing 70hz is generally not an issue except in 512x386, atleast with the VGA capture card I have.

hifidelitygaming wrote:

SVGA and the early 3d accelerators is where things get tricky. Were there any games that, as programmed in software and menus who at any higher resolution REQUIRED a higher refresh like 70hz or 75hz? (no option for 60hz)

The Rendition 3d accelerators apparently played certain games at 75hz only possibly all games. Worse they would switch frequencies while playing between menus and 3d gameplay! 😜 (i've no clue what that will do to a capture card)

You must have read an old thread about Whiplash on the Rendition Verite were the menu have a different refresh rate than the game itself. Of all the games I've tested this is the only game I've encountered with this kind of behaviour. Anyway, I managed to sort it out in the end and capture some footage.

hifidelitygaming wrote:

The S3 Virge 3d decelerators apparently wanted to play at 70hz, possibly all? Ie I cant find out if even normal VGA-ish modes like 640x480 were then at 70hz as well.

Again, is the thread on Destruction Derby you've been reading? It is the only S3 game that does this and it runs at the low 512x384 resolution. Can be sorted with either the patch released by Diamond or using a S3 Virge GX2 card.

hifidelitygaming wrote:

Mostly i'm trying to find if there's ever been something outside of the seeming standards of 50, 60, 70, and 75hz that might require an oddball or custom capture solution since i'm hoping to start doing some retrogame playthrough stuff on youtube sometime soon focusing on rare and obscure titles. Although it's technically off topic for the board, if anyone just knows offhand of any other arcade, retrocomputer or retroconsole which actually used frequencies outside of this they could comment as well. (for instance some japanese shooters apparently run 56hz refresh in the arcade - i've no clue why or what alleged advantage that would have)

I don't have any first hand experience on capture hardware beyond the Avermedia Gamebroadcaster HD, the cheap VGA to S-video converter on Youtube, a cheap VGA to HDMI converter and the EGA/CGA to VGA converter board on Ebay. I have read that the arcade enthusiasts use a different board for capturing which might be better suited for the retro PC gamer. If you get it,please share your experiences.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes