VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!
What software are you using to make RAM disks in DOS/Windows?
Which memory manager does RAM disk software work best with?
What do you generally use RAM disks for?
Can RAM disks be loaded in specific memory area (i.e. last 64MB of 128MB on a FX/VX/TX to restrict OS to cacheable area)?

The point is, I upgraded a 5x86 machine with 64Mb RAM, the amount of memory no DOS game can ever need. I know that making them run from RAM disks can make them load super fast and increase the performance. I would be happy to hear your opinions.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We were just talking about RAM disks in the Firefox thread, but I guess that's a little more modern than what you're looking at.

I hear XMSDISK, endorsed by Uwe Sieber, is the way to go as far as DOS/Win9x is concerned. And yes, you can even control which part of RAM it uses, apparently.
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/util_e.html

Reply 2 of 5, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would recommend RDISK or UIDE by Jack R. Ellis.

RDISK is a RAMdisk, supporting disks up to 2GB. However it is really simple, and once loaded you can only unload it by ctrl-alt-del.
UIDE is my preferred way of filling up otherwise unused RAM, it's a disk cache program that supports up to 4GB of cache, with CD-rom drivers and caching built in (that saves conventional ram!).

Read the manual before trying though, these drivers have a LONG list of options and tweaks.

edit: seems I forgot to add a link: http://johnson.tmfc.net/dos/driver.html

Reply 3 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using something called AR Soft RAMDisk. I think it's discontinued and I'm sure there's better options that were given already.
I use it on an old very low power P3 machine which runs MagicJack 24/7 under a stripped down WinXP. I had intended to migrate it to a compactFlash card, but I never completed that transition. In order to reduce disk writes, I use a RAMDisk to hold the minimal sized IE cache, and other temp files and whatever else, I can't remember exactly.
I haven't completely succeeded - the hard disk is set to spin down but it spins back up every few minutes so something is still accessing it. I lost interest in trying to perfect it and have just left it as-is.

Reply 4 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

I haven't completely succeeded - the hard disk is set to spin down but it spins back up every few minutes so something is still accessing it. I lost interest in trying to perfect it and have just left it as-is.

Some programs use quickstarters that read their files every few minutes so that they are constantly kept in memory to speed up their start when they are needed to be used.