Topic actions

Reply 40 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
barracuda415 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Once barracuda415 fixes the subpixel vertex accuracy problem then it'll run much better on newer hardware than anything period accurate.

Well, I don't think I can fix that one. I've spend many hours in the debugger trying to find out where exactly the vertices are snapped to a 320x240 grid, but apparently, it's not just a function parameter or variable that can simply be changed for better results like in Tomb Raider. I'm not really an expert in the math that is involved to calculate the vertex positions and even less and expert in the assembly used to implement it. I found parameters like the rendering distance, the FOV, the rendering scale, both for the UI and the 3D world and the resolution table and various numbers that look like hard-coded resolutions, but no matter what parameters I change, the vertices are always snapped on that damn grid. The assembly is also a mess, the vertex data is converted from int16 to int32 to float or double, back to int16 and then to float again and there's also tons of dead code for Playstation everywhere.

🙁

But I can has infinite draw distance?

Is the lights on the first time flickering because of the vertex problem? And the billboards showing a triangle glitch of some kind?

Reply 41 of 48, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought 3d Rage Wipeout but I get an error message when I run the game, "2002: Could not open file, or CD is missing from the drive."
I have the CD in my DVD drive and I also made a disc image but I get the same error.
Does the CD need to be in drive D, because my drive D is a 2nd hard drive.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 43 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just been playing with WipEout (thanks to vetz) and I have 2 questions (that either vetz and/or barracuda415 could answer):

1. The music only seems to run when running off a burnt CD in my drive (which I have no problem with), however, in-game the "Random" CD track option (changeable whilst racing) only ever plays the first track. Does it do the same on the original game, on a real Rage3D supporting card?

2. Unless I run it in a window, the game always stretches to my screen res (1440p), meaning the wobbly subpixel vertex accuracy is REALLY noticeable. Is there any way to run fullscreen but at resolutions like 640x480?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 44 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact, even if I set my screen to 800x600 or use compatibility mode of 640x480, the wrapper always does fullscreen as 1920x1440, only showing a small part of the screen!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 45 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  1. That may be caused by a bug in the WinMM implementation of modern Windows, at least it sounds similar to the issues that the ATI version of TR1 has. A separate WinMM wrapper may fix these issues. I made one myself, but it isn't ready for release yet. On my Win98 test machine, I haven't noticed any issues.
  2. Not right now, but I'll add it to the future features list. Do you have a screenshot of the incorrect fullscreen mode?

Reply 46 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually think the music bug might be in the original game. I tried using _inmm.dll instead and it made no difference. There's a video of the original game on ATI hardware and it too only seems to play the first track, even when set to random.

I'll do a screenshot in a bit and will update...

Reply 47 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I suspect the graphics issue is to do with Nvidia software settings, as if I set resolution in their software it renders fine at that res. The Windows Compatibility override to show at 640x480 is ignored though,with the game running at whatever res desktop is set to, so part goes off the edge of the screen.

Reply 48 of 48, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
barracuda415 wrote:

I've used this list to find the games that only run on ATI3DCIF (marked green) and tried to support those for now (TR1 isn't marked, but it's technically exclusive for Win95).

Actua Soccer may be kind of marked green too. No glide/d3d/opengl.