VOGONS

Reply 20 of 52, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is both the Avermedia card and the settings in Windows 98 that is the issue here. The Avermedia is a bit picky about refreshrates and resolutions. If you set for example 640x480 at 72hz then it will not sync and you will get a "Out of range" message. You need to configure the system to run at supported refresh rates and resolutions. The most safe refresh rate is 60hz, but negative and positive horizontal and vertical sync can affect this. Installing Powerstrip makes you able to change negative and positive sync in the operating system. Since the Avermedia syncs in BIOS and DOS (Win98 bootup screen) and in Windows XP makes it obvious that it is the Windows 98 display settings that are not set correct.

I do not have a Radeon card with DVI output so I cannot test it with Windows 98 myself. I just know that both my Geforce FX and my Matrox G200MMS both work in Windows 98 when refreshrate is set to 60hz with DVI output. Though only the GeforceFX works in all modes like DOS, BIOS, Windows, etc. The Matrox will not sync outside Windows, so every type of card have their quirks when it comes to recording both when using VGA and DVI. I have in previous posts listed my top cards for recording on the Avermedia cards after countless hours with testing different pre-2000 graphic cards. I haven't tested much with dual output like you are doing atm (VGA and DVI at the same time), but this could be the issue if the changes you make only become active for the VGA output. I normally record with VGA and I use a VGA splitter to get the image on an external monitor. Try to only have the DVI output activated.

Using other programs (VLC and Virtual Dub) for recording with the Avermedia makes no difference to how the card syncs. The only difference is how the picture is handled and recorded once you get sync. For instance VLC can continue recording if the resolution/refresh rates changes in the recording. That is not possible in the Avermedia software.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the very informative post (this actually helps me out a lot to understand whats happening in the background) ^^ dont worry I will get a Matrox and a FX Nvidia and run them through the DVI Win98 hell 🤣

I also noticed that it must be a signal sync problem between AverMedia and the settings in Win98 (sometimes the signal blinks like there must be some sort of signal but still the screen remains black), its just so weird that it can capture the screen in 640x480 at 60hz with those weird horizontal screen flickers but once I set the resolution in Win98 to higher than 640x480 the signal just dies :[

yup I am using dual output since relying on the testing screen is not good enough since it rarely gives me any displays (so I remain mostly blind without a second monitor) and I noticed that my avermedia gets actually categorized as the 2nd screen, it says in WIn98 "Avermedia @ Default Monitor". I feel the pain of your testing man 🤣 as I am also new to this I wasnt sure what is actually wrong. I tried connecting the direct DVI to Avermedia without connecting my second monitor but it doesnt like it and gives me the "black screen of ignore" out of range 🤣

The Radeon seems actually able to capture the BIOS in DVI (it probably stores some info on its memory probably) it just goes out of range when booting into Win98 after the Startup logo, so I guess the AverMedia card doesnt like the settings there except 640x480 at 60hz. I just have to do more testings on different DVI-out cards but I will get to the bottom of this annoying problem ^^

I heard of Powerstrip by reading through google, in the end I think it just boils down to please the Avermedia with the correct syncronized refresh settings in Win98 through the radeon !

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 23 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

You mention that you use your AverMedia to capture signals from your XBox, so what resolution is that? Maybe only higher resolutions work correctly.

I know but Win98SE can be set to 1280x720 as well as the Xbox (but I think AverMedia syncs way better with the Xbox). Connecting the Xbox 360 is a no brainer, the AverMedia Dark Crystal has 2 HDMI inputs one is a pure HDMI input and the other one is used by the dongle cable to connect all kind of signals like S-Video, Composite, YPbPr RGB. In order to record the Xbox 360 in 720p (I dunno if it even supports true 1080p like the PS3 does, rather 1080i which is interlaced). Just by using a normal HDMI cable you can plug in the cable in the Xbox 360 (must be slim model, black one as the white ones dont have a HDMI in) and the other end of the HDMI cable goes into your HDMI-in of the dark crystal and it displays a flawless 720p image on your PC screen no-matter what, you can also go into the Xbox Live settings and set the resolution there the way you want its always stable :]

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 24 of 52, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Avermedia creates their products towards Xbox, PS3 and high resolution PC gaming capturing, not retro gaming. If you want a professional product which is more forgiving expect to pay 10 times more (800 dollars++)! I bought the Avermedia Gamebroadcaster HD since it was a product that offered high-definition HDMI & VGA capture for the lowest price. At that point in time there were none user experiences on the internet telling how it would work with vintage computers. I just took a chance and I've tried to share my experiences with the card. Your card, while not exactly the same should be very similar.

I also noticed that it must be a signal sync problem between AverMedia and the settings in Win98 (sometimes the signal blinks like there must be some sort of signal but still the screen remains black), its just so weird that it can capture the screen in 640x480 at 60hz with those weird horizontal screen flickers but once I set the resolution in Win98 to higher than 640x480 the signal just dies :[

You are aware that changing the resolution means that you need to set the refresh rate again in Windows 98? Also as I have suggested previously, try download Powerstrip and set positive/negative refresh rates from NN (negative-negative) to NP (Negative-positive).

The Radeon seems actually able to capture the BIOS in DVI (it probably stores some info on its memory probably) it just goes out of range when booting into Win98 after the Startup logo, so I guess the AverMedia card doesnt like the settings there except 640x480 at 60hz.

When you get picture of the BIOS and Start up logo it means that there is sync. Those modes run in lower resolutions than 640x480.

yup I am using dual output since relying on the testing screen is not good enough since it rarely gives me any displays (so I remain mostly blind without a second monitor) and I noticed that my avermedia gets actually categorized as the 2nd screen, it says in WIn98 "Avermedia @ Default Monitor".

Just hotswap the cables. When you have set the resolution you want in Windows 98, set 60hz and then swap the cable from your monitor to the HDMI dongle. I still think that since the Avermedia is categorized as a secondary monitor it creates problems when you try and edit stuff. Again Powerstrip gives much better control.

Reply 25 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay guys finally I solved it, after nearly one week of testing 😁 I tested it with the Palit Nvidia FX5700LE and the DVI-out works perfect with my AverMedia Dark Crystal, here is the screenshot 😁

BioHazardonAverMedia_zps8c1d8309.jpg

This is Windows 98SE set to 1280x720 60Hz and its running BioHazard in window mode (I think in 800x600). The desktop is displayed via my Avermedia 3D center and I just connected a DVI to HDMI adapter to the DVI-out of my Nvidia 5700LE and the other end goes in the HDMI-in of my Dark Crystal.

My endconclussion is that the Radeon 9200LE is simply crap for transmitting a good DVI signal to the Dark Crystal, either that or the drivers for it are crap. People should use an Nvidia card like the FX5500 and above, also Vetz I noticed something important on the P3B-F Motherboard there is a switchboard (small blue one) the Nvidia FX5700LE wouldnt even start up because the first switch 1 was set to OFF (by default I guess or by the previous user) instead of ON, after I threw it to ON the card booted up 😒

Its this board here !

IMG_0667_zpsfe33f899.jpg

See ! Even when I took the picture it was set to OFF, and I also noticed that some Nvidia FX5700 have an extra power connector but not my model which looks exactly like this here ! So it could be that the FX5700LE needs to suck more power from the power supply through the AGP port and that it was disabled by the switchboard (thats my best guess).

Palit-GeForce-FX5700LE-256-Mo-DDR-AGP-8x-Sorties-VGA-DVI-TV-Carte-graphique-850600156_ML.jpg

Last edited by AlucarD86 on 2013-08-05, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 52, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good thing you got it working with a Nvidia card.

I've never touched the switchboard, so most likely mine is set to the default position since my GeforceFX works without issues.

Reply 27 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

could you be so nice and take a picture of your switchboard ? I am very curious about your settings 😁 I believe that the switch turned to OFF didnt supply the graphics card with enough power because its an AGB 8X card and the port is AGB 2X I believe and also I saw that some of the FX5700 have this additional power connector on them ! Anyway this mainboard rocks !!

Reply 28 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The P3B-F is capable of jumperless configuration in the BIOS. As said in the manual, all switches need to be on off for this mode to work. You probably are mixing up things and the first switch was set to on, so that something was messed up on your setup.

Reply 29 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

The P3B-F is capable of jumperless configuration in the BIOS. As said in the manual, all switches need to be on off for this mode to work. You probably are mixing up something and the first switch was set to on, so that messed up something on your setup.

The problem I had was that the PC wouldn't even boot with the FX5700LE inserted (I think the switches decide the AGP speed but I could be wrong) ! I just got a black blank screen and after I swiched over the very first button 1 to on it booted up and I saw the graphics card bios ! Also unfortunately I dont have the manual as I bought this from Ebay 🙁 and also I am not aware at all on what the switches actually do, I think there are some descriptions painted on the motherboard itself !

And the board did boot up without problems witha ll switches to off when I was using the other cards like the Radeon 9200LE which lets me conclude that the Nvidia FX5700LE just simply needs more juice from the AGP port and that it was enabled by switching the first switch 1 to ON, if I am wrong please help with some configuration tips on this motherboard !

Last edited by AlucarD86 on 2013-08-05, 18:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 31 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cool tanks a bunch 😁 I will do more testings very soon !! I have an Nvidia FX5500 and an Nvidia FX5900 Ultra incoming next week so I will test them out as well but so far it works like a charm with the Palit FX5700LE 😁 and when I am finished with my tests I will make a list on what card to use and how and hopefully when I have more time I will do some youtube tutorials finally ! Also can you recommend a good motherboard which has the Pentium 4 487 socket and DDRam 1 and can run Windows 98SE maybe I will do another build with that as my next project, cheers !

Reply 33 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah I thought of dual booting it with XP on a second partition ! Is Pentium 4 and DDRam over 512MB incompatible with Win98SE ?

Reply 34 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd go for something newer for a XP rig, so you can utilize higher monitor resolutions. Something like C2D/8800 GT should max out all "XP games". Geforce 6 would be the last generation with 98 support. 98 would see only one core anyway and you could limit memory to 512 MB via .ini tweak.

The best way in my opinion is simply to dual-boot XP on your current rig though 😀 and find out that it'll benchmark slightly faster than 7 x64 😀

Reply 35 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks a lot for the advice once again ^^ I have my current system dual booting into Win98SE and XP and I think I have to get one of those single 512 SDRam memories !

Reply 36 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also please note the PowerVR PCX2 card will not function in XP, just fyi. so please do avoid ntfs and maintain that dual boot

I do have 512MB DDR working in Win98 BTW

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 37 of 52, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup I know ! The first problem I encountered was that I could not install Win98 on a 80GB HDD after I found out that I should create a partition with maximum 32GB in Fat32 ! Yeah guys Win98 is limited up to 32GB Fat32 so if you have a bigger harddrive over 30GB just create a 32GB partition and format it with Fat32 ! So I split the 80 GB harddrive in 2 partitions 32GB Fat32 for Win98 and the rest in NTFS for WinXp, works like a charm ! Only weird thing is that I cant manage to see the BIOS and the dual boot select section between 98 and XP if I hook it up to my dark crystal capture card via DVI-HDMI but since I know the button commands I know what buttons to press on the keyboard blindly ! Does someone know at what resolution and MHz the bios screen operates because on the Radeon 9200 I could see it but could not see Win98 😒

Reply 38 of 52, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, I had a question similar to the OP but a little different, so I decided to bump the old topic instead of making a new one.

Okay, I'm trying to record footage off a Win98SE computer too. The thing is, I'm trying to record to a DVD Recorder, NOT to another computer (I don't have one that can accept inputs, anyway). I also preferably want a method that could also record from boot if I wanted to, and could record even if I decide to boot into MS-DOS and not go into Win98 at all. All while still being able to actually use the computer on my actual monitor and with my normal speakers.

Someone once told me that if I just use a VGA to RCA converter box (like this one) and for audio, a signal splitter with cables like these on the DVDR's end, that would get the job done. Is that right, or is there a step I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

(If this doesn't get any replies here then I'll start a seperate topic)

Reply 39 of 52, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's quite easy!

So many old AGP cards have TV-Out. Usually S-Video, but the port also carries composite. If your DVD recorder has S-Video in then you are all set. If it only has composite then you need to find a cable or build one for your graphics card. Some cards also have composite out.

BUT composite out is very poor quality. Even S-Video isn't suitable for anything higher than 640 x 480.

That box you linked works, I have one too. But the image is not as good as directly from TV-out from a GeForce.

AlucarD86 wrote:

Yup I know ! The first problem I encountered was that I could not install Win98 on a 80GB HDD after I found out that I should create a partition with maximum 32GB in Fat32 !

This isn't correct. 128 MB is the limit.

YouTube, Facebook, Website