The Wrapper Collection Project

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: The Wrapper Collection Project

Postby lowenz » 2019-6-13 @ 10:48

Exactly!
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby lowenz » 2019-7-13 @ 22:39

Is it possible to use DSOAL for OpenAL+EAX emulation *without* the directsound wrapping part?
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby Truth Unknown » 2019-7-14 @ 23:25

Right now, OpenAL-Soft (used by DSOAL) barely supports EAX (I think reverb), but mostly supports EFX. EFX is what the DSOAL wrapper is using, and unfortunately it seems no one has added support for EAX even though EFX has a number of similar features. There is a possibility of some games supporting the EFX features of OpenAL where you can use OpenAL-Soft instead of the Sound Driver's OpenAL, but that would be more recent games since EFX came after EAX 5 I believe.
Truth Unknown

Postby lowenz » 2019-7-15 @ 10:49

Truth Unknown wrote:Right now, OpenAL-Soft (used by DSOAL) barely supports EAX (I think reverb), but mostly supports EFX. EFX is what the DSOAL wrapper is using, and unfortunately it seems no one has added support for EAX even though EFX has a number of similar features. There is a possibility of some games supporting the EFX features of OpenAL where you can use OpenAL-Soft instead of the Sound Driver's OpenAL, but that would be more recent games since EFX came after EAX 5 I believe.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Sound_card

EAX effect is converted into EFX, with partial support for EAX 1.0, 3.0, and 4.0 and full support for EAX 2.0

So which is the truth?
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby Truth Unknown » 2019-7-18 @ 02:16

It's more like DirectSound EAX converted to OpenAL EFX, completely bypassing the OpenAL EAX features that OpenAL-Soft doesn't have. So for now, EAX on OpenAL is still tied to Creative hardware/software. I'm not certain how OpenAL EAX is handled by other OpenAL hardware/software, this is just how I understand it to be.

EDIT: The main programmer for OpenAL-Soft explains how it handles EFX and why there isn't EAX support in a GitHub issue. https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/issues/62
Truth Unknown

Postby lowenz » 2019-8-15 @ 15:10

Tested EAX support of DSOAL (lastest build by vaporeon) with the good old SiN+Wages of SiN ( :) ).....it's awesome! And yes, it restores:

1) 4 channels sound (like IndirectSound if EAX fake support is enabled)
2) EAX effects

Man, it's incredibile but it seems SiN can run with s_khz set to 48!
lowenz
Oldbie

Previous

Return to PC Emulation