VOGONS

VMware

Topic actions

First post, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I installed the vmware 4.0 on my pc, but couldn't run some old dos games, and since it emuletes only Sound Blaster Ensoniq, there is no sound at all on Dos. Is there any better software? Virtual pc perhaps? Is it any good for games? I already have dosbox, but couldn't run all of my old games on it. Thanks

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List the games.

Vmware bites for DOS compatibility.
VPC is only good for protected mode and even then the SFX sucks.

Here's the ordered of prefered running of games assuming an NT OS:

Dual-boot with 9x/DOS
NT NTVDM
DosBox
VPC
VMWARE

I would mention Bochs except for the fact that there really isn't a point in doing so......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, using dos 6.22 on vware, I couldn't play Wolf3d, crashes even before the first screen, and on Grand Prix 1 and 2, the keyboard just doesn't work. I can't play duke3d on dosbox... it's slow, and on vmware, it goes soundless...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two really noob questions: what is Xp's ntvdm? and about duke ports, what is that supposed to mean anyway?

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTVDM is the emulator for 16bit programs in NT. It is NOT the command line that you type in in NT4/2K/XP. NTVDM is only accessed when a 16bit program is executed.

For a Duke3D port go here: http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-04-05, 21:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's one more noob question 😁 : Is it any possible to have sound on dos via vmware?? No way?? Anyone??? Still can't play Wolf3d, i'm seriously thinking about trying one of those cpu slow down programs... Is it gonna work?? Thanks... I love this forum... 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Search google for NEWWolf, (it's on sourceforge). It's an OGL port for wolf3d. Also has a texture pack that includes the Macintosh textures.

Reply 10 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, I just saw a few screen shots of this NewWolf, and I still prefer the classic wolf... 🤣 I've got a Celeron 466, 32mb(DIMM) with a SB 16 ISA on it, I think i'll intall Dos 6.22 on it just to play these old games... I love to death old dos games... they're the best... Is it a good machine for these games?

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, processor is too fast. Should be fine for Wolf3d/Duke Nukem tho.

You can assign any resolution to NewWolf and you don't have to use the textures. So set it to 320X200 res and you should be happy.

You strange people....won't take advantage of good graphics when ya can get 'em. Even when Wolf3d/Doom first came out I was still comparing them to movies and always thought they could look better....which is why I have no problem increasing the graphics on old games....as long as it only improves the gameplay.