VOGONS

First post, by eadmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to rip the original Roland VSC samples into a regular sf2 for use with Dosbox?
I know the alternative of using mudlord's VST driver + the VSTi plugin (VSC.dll), but this is restricted to a single platform (win32), while soundfonts are portable.
Also the Patch93's SC-55 soundfont is reportedly still incomplete and inaccurate.

I've found this tutorial that describes a conversion process, but i'm not sure if it is doable..

Reply 1 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure it is, but there is no guarantee it will be accurate to VSC, which is not even that accurate to the hardware itself. Replicating a synth isn't just a matter of ripping the samples from it.

Reply 2 of 7, by eadmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then i guess a ROM dump + an emulator like Munt is the only way to go for best accuracy.

I guess even the onboard ROMs doesn't contains all samples, but some are generated via LAS, right?

Reply 3 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure whether and to what degree this module uses LA synthesis, there is some talk about a "cut-down version" of it on the net. But if you look at these soundfonts that are floating around the thing about them that sounds most blatantly wrong are often the reverb/chrous effects. To get this dead on the whole synth engine, DSPs etc would need to be reverse engineered.

Even though Munt seems to be quite accurate at this point there is still a discernable difference compared to the real thing. It all boils down to the developers not understanding the hardware completely due to Roland protecting their IP.

It actually is possible to recreate a hardware MIDI synth very accurately if the company behind it decides to do so, Yamaha's softsynths are the best example here. I can't recall hearing any differences when comparing DB60XG to S-YXG50; with Roland it's a quite different story. Guess they didn't want to jeopardize their sound module market too much, after all they are putting out these things to this day...

Reply 4 of 7, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, I thought that LA synthesis was used only by D-50 and its derivatives, not SC family?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Theoretically, it should be possible to replicate an entire digital synthesizer in software and have it sound exactly the same. In practice though, this isn't really the case since you have to take into account things like the DACs and all of the analog circuitry that goes into actually outputting the sound.

As well, during the 1980s a fair number of synthesizers including the Ensoniq Mirage sampling keyboard, the Ensoniq ESQ-1 (which used the same soundchip as the Apple IIGS 😁) the Prophet VS, and the Commodore 64 SID chip were actually digital/analog hybrids, featuring digital sound generation with analog filters or some other similar setup. The digital aspects of these synths can most definitely be emulated in software, but the analog aspects can only really be simulated to a more-or-less accurate but not "perfect" degree.

Reply 7 of 7, by Magnuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have uploaded a SF2 file created in approximation to the Roland SCC1 a long.... time ago by some unknown person.

Check it out in Vogon Driver Library - Sound Fonts section.