VOGONS

Windows, Doom, Apogee OPL3 Synthesizer.

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does this so it can let the synth complete a midi stream without closing the audio device, because other midi drivers close the audio device when the stream is finished, and just because the midi stream is finished does not mean the synth is finished synthesizing the output.
By the way, do you have the time to write a midi to wav converter that is based on these drivers?
Thanks.

Reply 163 of 204, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to ask in this thread but can anyone provide the patches used in these software drivers as ".sb" files to use with ALSA's OPL3 driver?

I have a working CMI OPL3 in hardware and the default sb and o3 that ships with ALSA is extremely ugly and was clearly made by someone who doesn't know about music.

It would be nice to have the different DMX timbres so I can listen to Doom, Doom 2, TNT Evilution, and Heretic and Hexen on actual hardware.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 165 of 204, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

I hate to ask in this thread but can anyone provide the patches used in these software drivers as ".sb" files to use with ALSA's OPL3 driver?

I have a working CMI OPL3 in hardware and the default sb and o3 that ships with ALSA is extremely ugly and was clearly made by someone who doesn't know about music.

It would be nice to have the different DMX timbres so I can listen to Doom, Doom 2, TNT Evilution, and Heretic and Hexen on actual hardware.

Download OPL3Bankeditor ( I used the AppVeyor dev build) and all you have to do is open the included op2 files, and then save them as melodic and percussion .sb files.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 166 of 204, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
datajake1999 wrote:

I am not sure how to do this.
P.S.
I have a CMI8738 and I want to see if it has an OPL3. How can I do this?

Just boot up Linux and check to see if it's listed as a MIDI device in ALSA. I'm running a fairly modern Linux kernel and I can still make use of a OPL3.

$ aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
16:0 C-Media CMI8738 C-Media CMI8738 MIDI
17:0 OPL3 FM synth OPL3 FM Port
Stretch wrote:

Download OPL3Bankeditor ( I used the AppVeyor dev build)

Is there a .deb I can hopefully throw into my system? I don't think I can get the necessary dev packages to build from source.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 167 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After days of research, I figured out how to have the driver write its audio buffer to a wav file, and incorporate multiple OPL3 emulator cores.
The cores I included are Nuked, DOSBox compat, DOSBox fast, and MAME.
I also added VGM Logging support and hardware playback through inpout32.dll. I used the VGM Logging and hardware playback code from MaliceX's fork of the driver.
I also figured out the i/o address of my cmi8738 OPL3 and I modified the hardware playback code to send the OPL3 commands to that address, which if your wondering, is E050.
The configuration utility has also been updated to reflect these changes.
source:
http://grossgang.com/utilities/opl3emu.zip
compiled version:
http://grossgang.com/utilities/opl3emu.exe
P.S:
I couldn't get dbopl.cpp to compile with visual studio 6, it gave me an error1001 which is an internal compiler error.
I used visual studio 2005 to compile everything.
Edit: Nuked OPL3 1.8 was released, and I updated my driver with the new version.

Reply 169 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In celebration of Windows 98's 20th anniversary, I put this together.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uqyv9O0hnbu … kJzVDpNt7s5z5uU
MIDI files played:
ie4chan.mid. This was used with channels in Internet Explorer 4.
The rest of these are found in driver19.cab on the windows 98 CD.
blues1.mid
fnkngrvn.mid
jazz1.mid
mericana.mid
mwvblues.mid
newgrass.mid
prtytime.mid

Reply 170 of 204, by Ruthen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2017-11-23, 17:05:
DracoNihil wrote:

I have heard great things about Rad-140 Testolone and a working CMI OPL3 in hardware and the default sb and o3 that ships with ALSA is extremely ugly and was clearly made by someone who doesn't know about music.

Download OPL3Bankeditor ( I used the AppVeyor dev build) and all you have to do is open the included op2 files, and then save them as melodic and percussion .sb files.

Man, it's surreal to me that it's already been 20 years since then. I still remember how excited I was when I was installing the "new" Win 98 for the first time.

Last edited by Ruthen on 2022-07-08, 08:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 171 of 204, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does someone have a x64 version?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 173 of 204, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the means to compile it, would it be possible to make one?

Reply 175 of 204, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks!!

Reply 176 of 204, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@datajake1999: I love the work that you've done with this project so far. I've already spent several happy hours today playing around with this synth.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do the Apogee version of this synth? It sounds totally different than the stock "Windows OPL3 Synth" version. Is it using the same core emulation with just a change in sound banks or some such? If so, where did the sound banks originate and how were they integrated?

I'm only asking because your page on Github seems to be severely lacking in details or a general history of how your fork of this project came about.

Also, what are the core differences between the 4 different synths offered. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know more details about how this awesome synth works and how it came about.

I know that nukeykt did the original core emulation, but anything past that is a little fuzzy on details.

I apologize in advance if you have already posted this information somewhere and I just missed seeing it. In that case, please be kind enough to leave a link so that I can read up on this. Thank you. 😀

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 178 of 204, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@datajake1999: Many thanks for updating your Github Wiki page. The more details, the better. 😀

I enjoy studying the history of how these programs come about and to have a better understanding of their internal workings. The better I understand their internal workings, the better use I can make of them.

To save people from needing to bother with a search engine, here is the URL to datajake1999's Wiki page, for the sake of anyone else that is following along with the conversation and would also like to study up on the continuing evolution of this very outstanding MIDI synth. https://github.com/datajake1999/OPL3EMU/wiki/Background

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 179 of 204, by Maivicada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DragonSlayer wrote:

@datajake1999: Many thanks for updating your Github Wiki page. The more details, the better. 😀

I enjoy studying the history of how these programs come about and to have a better understanding of their internal workings. The better I understand their internal workings, the better use I can make of them.

To save people from needing to bother with a search engine, here is the URL to datajake1999's Wiki page, for the sake of anyone else that is following along with the conversation and would also like to study up on the continuing evolution of this very outstanding MIDI synth. https://github.com/datajake1999/OPL3EMU/wiki/Background

Yesss realy thanks!

https://mechanicfaq.com/