VOGONS

Reply 220 of 380, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lagonauta wrote:
uzernaem wrote:

Hello everyone! I've enabled EAX in Doom 3 with Alchemy and there's one thing that bothers me - there are no gradual transitions between rooms. The sound changes instantly to a different reverb preset when you go from one room to another and it kinda breaks the immersion. Was it like this on the original Creative hardware?

I've tried Host OpenAL solution too but couldn't hear any difference in quality with it compared to "Creative Software 3D Library". Yes, dsoundlog.txt says "Using Native OpenAL Renderer" so it works.

Don't worry, this is how it is supposed to be. Doom 3 EAX implementation is really bad (probably because they really hated being forced to implement it). It is more like EAX2 with high quality reverb and occlusion. I have a X-Fi Titanium and noticed the same thing.
Prey and Quake 4 have better implementations, specially Prey.

Not only this, HOAL EAX is terrible IMHO, toooooo much reveeeerb ...

Reply 222 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice work on figuring all this out, everyone! This thread is a real treasure trove for those who care about EAX.

However, there are still things that are not quite clear to me. Namely, what method supports what level of EAX, and how that relates to OpenAL EFX.

As a background: I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer card, which I got exclusively for EAX 5 support in OpenAL games (Unreal Engines). And by EAX 5 I mean including environment occlusion (EAX 5) and smooth zone transitions (EAX 3). These two things make a huge difference! Therefore for me, merely EAX 2 level support is nowhere near enough, but Creative are the only ones that have access to EAX 3 and higher.

Yesterday, the card failed to get started up properly, with it not detected in Windows, nor on PulseAudio in Linux, though it was still shown in lspci. After a few reboots it got initialised properly again, but still this got me worried a bit. So I decided to investigate other options. My motherboard has an integrated ALC892 sound chip, which is actually very close to what Creative themselves sell nowadays: the Audigy Fx card uses an ALC898, which seems to be a bit louder variant of the ALC892.

As I said, I only really care about Unreal Engine games, and all of them use OpenAL natively. That's Unreal (OpenAL via patch 227, EAX 1 or 2), Unreal Tournament (native OpenAL on Linux, OpenAL via the OpenAL patch on Windows, EAX 2 I think), Unreal II and Unreal Tournament 2003 (native OpenAL, EAX 3), Unreal Tournament 2004 (native OpenAL with EAX 3 and OpenAL with EAX 5 via the X-Fi patch), Unreal Tournament 3 (native OpenAL with EFX), Mass Effect (native OpenAL, EAX 5; I didn't have any problems with it) and Mass Effect 2/3 (Wwise, so I'm not really sure, guessing it's OpenAL EFX). There's also Might and Magic VI-VIII that do use DirectSound (via Miles Sound System IIRC), but they use EAX 1 or 2, which is emulatable even by Wine Staging now, so it's hardly a problem.

There's a lot of talk about ALchemy, but I assumed that it was only for games that use DirectSound 3D natively, and didn't have an OpenAL option. Though this thread showed that with wrap_oal, OpenAL falls back to DirectSound ("Generic Hardware") if it can't find an Audigy or X-Fi card? In which case ALchemy becomes relevant again? Though that sounds really silly: you'd have an audio path of Game → OpenAL → DirectSound → OpenAL.

One can use OpenAL Soft instead, but does it actually support EAX 5? It supports EFX, which is supposed to be the open version of EAX for new games, but I'm not sure what EAX version it's equivalent to, and whether it translates EAX calls to EFX calls (I think last I checked it didn't). In addition, OpenAL Soft is actually the only way to get UT2003/UT2004 on Linux to play any sound at all these days, but once again I don't know whether it supports EAX above 2.

Then there's HOAL, which appears to be capable of emulating EAX. I assume that's what Creative X-Fi MB3 uses to enable EAX? And what EAX level does HOAL support?

Once all that is clear to me, I might make either an article or a YouTube video about all this. It sure is complicated stuff! It also makes me wonder if any comparisons would be useful for you all, and whether I can use both the onboard sound chip and my X-Fi at the same time (I have ct_oal.dll, I wonder how games react to that if I set the Realtek card as default).

Talking about Mass Effect, FIY I'm doing a playthrough of it right now and I do have EAX support (quite evident in the Council Chambers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw20N5z-NG8), and I didn't have any problems on my X-Fi card (using ISACT audio device). The log merely mentions this:

[4.651] Init: Audio Driver: SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi) ({0.0.0.00000000}.{de5d8be3-7ad5-4ca0-b814-2a247d07aa80})
[4.653] Init: Audio Device: SB X-Fi Audio [CFE0]
[5.081] Init: 64 Free Sources, 2 Reserved

Reply 223 of 380, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my testings, (see somewhere on PCGW or this thread, can't remember) with a Xonar (so not exactly the most of the "neatness") game failed to use OpenAL native device because of some API/game retardness with names. I wonder if it couldn't have something to do with Windows localization or something like that, for example in your lucky case.
.. But Idk. For the records ME2/ME3 have no openal at all (I tried to mess up with ini in the former, but no luck).

Then.. What else?

• I don't think EFX was ever meant to be more "open"
  • I don't think openal soft support EAX at all. Situation seems desperately messy.
  • Regardless, I'd still try UE2004 with it. They have done progresses lately. And I wonder how that compares to damn random reverbs.
  • HOAL is something that comes with newer creative cards (not X-fi). MB3 users are blindly left on the ALchemy vicious path
  • Personally, in 2016 I think I wouldn't buy my Xonar DX (or any sound card for all that matters) if I had again, at least on my desktop. But if I'd have, seriously Creative just deserves to die
GreatEmerald wrote:

Though this thread showed that with wrap_oal, OpenAL falls back to DirectSound ("Generic Hardware") if it can't find an Audigy or X-Fi card? In which case ALchemy becomes relevant again? Though that sounds really silly: you'd have an audio path of Game → OpenAL → DirectSound → OpenAL.]

You are very shrewd, yes that can be a thing.
Though, if any, it's not like people use it because they lack native implementations. It's just that this way, regardless of your sound card you can get up to EAX 4 effects enabled (quality is another matter I guess).

Of course nobody obliges you, and there's nothing silly once you think to the sense of its architecture and what happened after it was conceived.

Said this, I don't know what's your coverage, but regardless if you could make an appeal to bloody EAX >2 sdks.. Dreaming costs nothing..
Thanks for reading all.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 224 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirh wrote:

In my testings, (see somewhere on PCGW or this thread, can't remember) with a Xonar (so not exactly the most of the "neatness") game failed to use OpenAL native device because of some API/game retardness with names. I wonder if it couldn't have something to do with Windows localization or something like that, for example in your lucky case.
.. But Idk. For the records ME2/ME3 have no openal at all (I tried to mess up with ini in the former, but no luck).

Well, in the INI, you can choose to either use ISACT (which in my case just works, and doesn't seem to have any config options about names at all; I assume that gets activated by "Hardware audio"), or ALAudio, which has an INI setting for the device name, mine is set to "Generic Software".

mirh wrote:

I don't think EFX was ever meant to be more "open"
I don't think openal soft support EAX at all. Situation seems desperately messy.

It wasn't? I thought the whole point of EFX is that non-Creative cards can have access to all the EAX functionality too.
And yea, I also see this mailing list thread, but it still sounds rather vague. I don't really get what they mean with "Generic Software" there: is it referring to the implementation by Creative in wrap_oal? I guess it's best to just ask them directly on the tracker.

mirh wrote:

[*]HOAL is something that comes with newer creative cards (not X-fi). MB3 users are blindly left on the ALchemy vicious path

That's not correct. I found an installer for MB3, and it definitely includes HOAL, with sens_oal and all.

mirh wrote:

You are very shrewd, yes that can be a thing.
Though, if any, it's not like people use it because they lack native implementations. It's just that this way, regardless of your sound card you can get up to EAX 4 effects enabled (quality is another matter I guess).

Of course nobody obliges you, and there's nothing silly once you think to the sense of its architecture and what happened after it was conceived.

Interesting, so ALchemy is still relevant. Yes, I wonder about the quality too, it's something to be investigated I guess.

Right now I don't really want to mess with my Windows installation too much since it has low disk space and I need it to record Mass Effect, but I do have Unreal II installed on it, so I could try to make a comparison of all the different methods and see what happens. Again I wonder if I can have both my X-Fi card drivers and HOAL installed at the same time, hmm.

mirh wrote:

Said this, I don't know what's your coverage, but regardless if you could make an appeal to bloody EAX >2 sdks.. Dreaming costs nothing..

Not sure what you mean there.

Reply 226 of 380, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GreatEmerald wrote:

Well, in the INI, you can choose to either use ISACT (which in my case just works, and doesn't seem to have any config options about names at all; I assume that gets activated by "Hardware audio"), or ALAudio, which has an INI setting for the device name, mine is set to "Generic Software".

Oh, here it is.
So.. can you confirm me if ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT and ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT returns the same values for you?

GreatEmerald wrote:

It wasn't? I thought the whole point of EFX is that non-Creative cards can have access to all the EAX functionality too.
And yea, I also see this mailing list thread, but it still sounds rather vague. I don't really get what they mean with "Generic Software" there: is it referring to the implementation by Creative in wrap_oal? I guess it's best to just ask them directly on the tracker.

Yes, Generic Software always means that afaik.
Though, I checked it...
And in some ways we could say it's just EAX, minus the stupid hardware paradigm it had always ensued since the 90s (together with directsound).
Your applications have to support it though. And for as much as "Generic Software" supports it, and so it almost seemed golden.. I can't understand why Realtek native device does not (dafaq?).

GreatEmerald wrote:

That's not correct. I found an installer for MB3, and it definitely includes HOAL, with sens_oal and all.

My bad.
I wonder if (aside of ALchemy only working with ct_oal) that could work as native device even for motherboards?

GreatEmerald wrote:

Interesting, so ALchemy is still relevant. Yes, I wonder about the quality too, it's something to be investigated I guess.

Of course if you have a Creative card (meaning official EAX > 2 support) there's absolutely no point in it (I wonder what's worse though: plain eax 2, or badly emulated eax4?)
If you ever wanted to check, see this.

GreatEmerald wrote:

Right now I don't really want to mess with my Windows installation too much since it has low disk space and I need it to record Mass Effect, but I do have Unreal II installed on it, so I could try to make a comparison of all the different methods and see what happens. Again I wonder if I can have both my X-Fi card drivers and HOAL installed at the same time, hmm.

Sure you can. Like I have rtk_oal happily coexisting with cm_oal.
Of course each one will only work when its corresponding audio device is selected. Don't really know how sens_oal is expected to interface with just anything though.

GreatEmerald wrote:

Not sure what you mean there.

I'm still hoping someday somebody will make an open ALchemy.
Having eax sdks would help I guess.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 227 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirh wrote:

So.. can you confirm me if ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT and ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT returns the same values for you?

Is there a tool I can use for determining that? Soft's openal-info enumerates things, but I don't know which of the two it uses (and it only uses one).

mirh wrote:

And in some ways we could say it's just EAX, minus the stupid hardware paradigm it had always ensued since the 90s (together with directsound). Your applications have to support it though.

Yeap. Thankfully there are quite a few of them that do support it (for instance, unofficial OpenAL renderer for Unreal and IIRC Unreal Tournament, UT3 etc.)

mirh wrote:

And for as much as "Generic Software" supports it, and so it almost seemed golden.. I can't understand why Realtek native device does not (dafaq?).

Yea, that's the surprising part. One of the things I'd like to test, for sure.

mirh wrote:

I wonder if (aside of ALchemy only working with ct_oal) that could work as native device even for motherboards?

What do you mean? Isn't the whole point of HOAL/sens_oal or, indeed, MB3 is to work on non-Creative hardware?

mirh wrote:

Of course if you have a Creative card (meaning official EAX > 2 support) there's absolutely no point in it (I wonder what's worse though: plain eax 2, or badly emulated eax4?)
If you ever wanted to check, see this.

Yea, like I said, I'm very curious to know how they all compare to one another. So far we have: 1) ct_oal, 2) sens_oal, 3) soft_oal, 4) rtk_oal, 5) wrap_oal Generic Hardware+ALchemy, 6) wrap_oal Generic Software, all of which are capable of some sort of EAX, looks like.

Yea, my plan is to record the audio using OBS and Unreal II with all the different solutions. I don't really know if Unreal II supports demo recordings, but if it does, that'd be perfect. Unreal II uses EAX 3 (made for Audigy 2) including smooth transitions and all that stuff, though IIRC it absolutely requires EAX 3 level support or it simply doesn't output any sound at all.

mirh wrote:

I'm still hoping someday somebody will make an open ALchemy.
Having eax sdks would help I guess.

Yea, I'm surprised that nobody has. It looks like it's just a matter of having a dsound.dll file that routes things to the right places. Which makes me wonder whether Creative's ALchemy routes it to OpenAL EAX or OpenAL EFX, hmm. Given that OpenAL Soft doesn't support the former, it might be an interesting test case.

Reply 228 of 380, by lagonauta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GreatEmerald wrote:
(...) Talking about Mass Effect, FIY I'm doing a playthrough of it right now and I do have EAX support (quite evident in the Cou […]
Show full quote

(...)
Talking about Mass Effect, FIY I'm doing a playthrough of it right now and I do have EAX support (quite evident in the Council Chambers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw20N5z-NG8), and I didn't have any problems on my X-Fi card (using ISACT audio device). The log merely mentions this:

[4.651] Init: Audio Driver: SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi) ({0.0.0.00000000}.{de5d8be3-7ad5-4ca0-b814-2a247d07aa80})
[4.653] Init: Audio Device: SB X-Fi Audio [CFE0]
[5.081] Init: 64 Free Sources, 2 Reserved

I also managed to play Mass Effect fine with my X-Fi Titanium, but I also changed the number of free sources to 120. I am using the 2.17.0008C beta driver for Windows 8.1, which seems to be the most stable on OpenAL without the disappearing sound bug (newer drivers never return that a static source stopped playing to the application). Does this happen on your PCI X-Fi on newer drivers?
The only problem I had was at the ending when using the Mako, it always bluescreened my PC at the same point no matter what number of source I used. I fixed that by forcing OpenAL Soft at this part and then got back to my X-Fi.

Reply 229 of 380, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GreatEmerald wrote:

Is there a tool I can use for determining that? Soft's openal-info enumerates things, but I don't know which of the two it uses (and it only uses one).

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mass_Effect#No_surround_sound

GreatEmerald wrote:

Yea, that's the surprising part. One of the things I'd like to test, for sure.

Well, there's nothing to actually check there.
Open ALCapsViewer32 and you'll see.

GreatEmerald wrote:

What do you mean? Isn't the whole point of HOAL/sens_oal or, indeed, MB3 is to work on non-Creative hardware?

I mean that I'm not expecting really a lot of logic from Creative, and I wouldn't be surprised if something was put there, just for reasons.
And indeed I'm wondering: is it there to work as a very universal native device or what?

GreatEmerald wrote:

Yea, my plan is to record the audio using OBS and Unreal II with all the different solutions. I don't really know if Unreal II supports demo recordings, but if it does, that'd be perfect. Unreal II uses EAX 3 (made for Audigy 2) including smooth transitions and all that stuff, though IIRC it absolutely requires EAX 3 level support or it simply doesn't output any sound at all.

I dunno if OBS records PCM audio.. But whatever.
Anyway, you may want to try indirectsound for a true surround "baseline" (it pretends to support EAX, but in reality calls aren't processed then)

GreatEmerald wrote:

Yea, I'm surprised that nobody has. It looks like it's just a matter of having a dsound.dll file that routes things to the right places.

It hasn't to be all that easy tbh, if it took Creative until 2014-2015 to have it finally working reliably.

GreatEmerald wrote:

Which makes me wonder whether Creative's ALchemy routes it to OpenAL EAX or OpenAL EFX, hmm. Given that OpenAL Soft doesn't support the former, it might be an interesting test case.

The only time ALchemy uses OpenAL is when it detects ct_oal, x-fi string and all.
Otherwise it just the famous Creative Software 3D Library

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 230 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lagonauta: I'm using the latest driver, that's 2.30.7, and I'm on Windows 10. I haven't noticed disappearing sounds, so I assume the bug is not present here. Can't say much about the Mako section, as I'm not there yet.

All right, I did a bit of a comparison in Unreal II. Unfortunately it didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped and I managed to test only two implementations, because the default DefOpenAL32.dll the game ships with gives some generic OpenAL without EAX (the game log notes whether EAX is enabled), replacing it with wrap_oal.dll results in no audio at all (the game notes that it couldn't find DefOpenAL32.dll, so it means it doesn't look similar to OpenAL32.dll enough), enabling ALchemy doesn't show any dsound.log so it's not going through DS3D (obviusly, since wrap_oal doesn't get loaded), using soft_oal works but at the moment half the sounds don't play due to a known and recently fixed bug (and EAX is disabled due to Soft not having EAX support), and using the Realtek card by default also doesn't have EAX enabled.

What I did test, however, is EAX on my X-Fi card with +4 dB EAX boost and CMSS enabled, against my Realtek card with HOAL (nothing else at all, I just installed HOAL and that's it). The result is... surprising. In some sense HOAL works better than my X-Fi! See this quick video upload (first is HOAL, second is X-Fi):
https://youtu.be/2gMYV3qZl54

Yes, OBS doesn't have an option to capture raw audio by default, but I set it to record AAC with a high bitrate (192) so it should be enough quality. Unfortunately Unreal II has a broken demo functionality (one can record them, but not play them back, as playback relies on network support that does not exist in the game).

Interesting suggestion to use IndirectSound as a baseline. I might also do that (and perhaps compare the non-EAX quality too, although it's rather pointless).

Reply 231 of 380, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GreatEmerald wrote:

because the default DefOpenAL32.dll the game ships with gives some generic OpenAL without EAX (the game log notes whether EAX is enabled), replacing it with wrap_oal.dll results in no audio at all (the game notes that it couldn't find DefOpenAL32.dll, so it means it doesn't look similar to OpenAL32.dll enough), enabling ALchemy doesn't show any dsound.log so it's not going through DS3D (obviusly, since wrap_oal doesn't get loaded), using soft_oal works but at the moment half the sounds don't play due to a known and recently fixed bug (and EAX is disabled due to Soft not having EAX support), and using the Realtek card by default also doesn't have EAX enabled.

You can have sound using OpenAL Soft with this batch file to launch Unreal 2:

SET __ALSOFT_SUSPEND_CONTEXT=ignore
.\System\Unreal2.exe

Just put "soft_oal.dll" in Unreal 2 system folder and rename it "OpenAL32.dll"
Remember to set "UseDefaultDriver=False" to avoid DefOpenAL32.dll 😉

Reply 232 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
You can have sound using OpenAL Soft with this batch file to launch Unreal 2: […]
Show full quote

You can have sound using OpenAL Soft with this batch file to launch Unreal 2:

SET __ALSOFT_SUSPEND_CONTEXT=ignore
.\System\Unreal2.exe

Just put "soft_oal.dll" in Unreal 2 system folder and rename it "OpenAL32.dll"
Remember to set "UseDefaultDriver=False" to avoid DefOpenAL32.dll 😉

Yes, I know that. But again, there's not much point to testing that, since it doesn't support EAX at the moment.

Reply 234 of 380, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GreatEmerald wrote:

replacing it with wrap_oal.dll results in no audio at all (the game notes that it couldn't find DefOpenAL32.dll, so it means it doesn't look similar to OpenAL32.dll enough)

What?
It just means the game is hardcoded to look for DefOpenAL32 (for some reasons).
Just copy normal OpenAL32.dll in its folder and rename it?

GreatEmerald wrote:

and using the Realtek card by default also doesn't have EAX enabled.

According to ALCapsViewer32, realtek native implementation does support EAX 2.

GreatEmerald wrote:

What I did test, however, is EAX on my X-Fi card with +4 dB EAX boost and CMSS enabled, against my Realtek card with HOAL (nothing else at all, I just installed HOAL and that's it). The result is... surprising. In some sense HOAL works better than my X-Fi! See this quick video upload (first is HOAL, second is X-Fi):
https://youtu.be/2gMYV3qZl54

I'm not sure it's so fair to compare the X-Fi with effects like the boost.
And, for as much acoustic memory is quite slim, tbh reverbs/echos in the second one seemed way better. And I wonder if without the boost they couldn't have been so low to finally not make that room sound like a cavern.

Also, you could mention in the description second part starts around 8:17

GreatEmerald wrote:

Yes, OBS doesn't have an option to capture raw audio by default, but I set it to record AAC with a high bitrate (192) so it should be enough quality.

I hope you are at least sure it can record multichannel videos.
Otherwise, I'd just recommend MSI afterburner.

GreatEmerald wrote:

Unfortunately Unreal II has a broken demo functionality (one can record them, but not play them back, as playback relies on network support that does not exist in the game).

You sure?
I read people had no troubles in using this, and I wonder if this couldn't still work.
Or perhaps it's just a matter of console commands to enable timedemos?

GreatEmerald wrote:

Interesting suggestion to use IndirectSound as a baseline. I might also do that (and perhaps compare the non-EAX quality too, although it's rather pointless).

Then by the way, I'm not aware of anybody confirming it sounds as right as, say, plain XP.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 235 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

In the ini file there's the option "Use3DSound".....what does it do, exactly? Is it the surround? I already force 5.1 speakers configuration in OpenAL Soft management utility.

That's a good question. I don't actually know for sure. I'm guessing that if it's set to False, it will use some sort of fallback a la Generic Software (or "Safe Mode" in UT2004; there, "3D audio" is the basic audio setting). I always kept it at True but I can check what happens otherwise.

For those who want the files before processing by YouTube, here you go (names should be self-explanatory):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ea884mtv7nhu9xm/hoal.m4a
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2jjx6olxal96tot/xfi.m4a

And if someone wants to try themselves, note that I'm using an edited version of the tutorial map (by default it doesn't have I3DL2 zones defined, I did it manually for my Unreal II LP), which you can get here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/airbsopthb6 … vky/TutB.un2.gz

Reply 236 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirh wrote:

According to ALCapsViewer32, realtek native implementation does support EAX 2.

Yeap, that's what I'll try and test now. Though from what I recall, the game might very well decide not to enable EAX if it can't find level 3.

mirh wrote:

I'm not sure it's so fair to compare the X-Fi with effects like the boost.
And, for as much acoustic memory is quite slim, tbh reverbs/echos in the second one seemed way better. And I wonder if without the boost they couldn't have been so low to finally not make that room sound like a cavern.

Without the boost it's very subtle. Too subtle for my tastes. But I can make a recording with it set to no boost as well. (Interestingly enough there are also settings to make it set to negative dB values...)

mirh wrote:

Also, you could mention in the description second part starts around 8:17

Yea, it was late when I uploaded, didn't have the time to do that.

mirh wrote:

I hope you are at least sure it can record multichannel videos.
Otherwise, I'd just recommend MSI afterburner.

I did not have anything set to multichannel, since I'm using headphones. And one can't set Windows settings to 7.1 or so and downmix it to stereo either, because at least Realtek drivers synchronise the two options (and when testing channels that are not the two front speakers, I hear nothing at all, so I assume it doesn't work). I think the X-Fi drivers synchronise the options with Windows settings too. But in both cases CMSS-3D/virtual surround was enabled, and I'd imagine it should get picked up in the recording. Hence a fair comparison.

mirh wrote:

You sure?
I read people had no troubles in using this, and I wonder if this couldn't still work.
Or perhaps it's just a matter of console commands to enable timedemos?

Positive. Don't mix up Unreal II and other Unreal Engine 2 games, the others all had working network implementations, whereas Unreal II has a broken one (and demo playback is treated as a network game by the engine). If I try to play them back, I get a frozen screen that says "CONNECTING".

If I have an opportunity to test another game, I'll go the demo route, certainly. But like I said, no disk space to install anything extra on that partition at the moment.

mirh wrote:

Then by the way, I'm not aware of anybody confirming it sounds as right as, say, plain XP.

Indeed, that's another interesting thing that would be nice to check, but I can't do that. XP doesn't work on GPT partitions, and all that jazz.

Last edited by GreatEmerald on 2016-09-02, 14:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 238 of 380, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote:

edited version of the tutorial map (by default it doesn't have I3DL2 zones defined, I did it manually for my Unreal II LP)

Unreal 2 LP?

LP = long play.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 239 of 380, by GreatEmerald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeap, or a Let's Play 😉

I played around with things a bit and I realised that previously I had copied the 64-bit DLLs, not the 32-bit ones, oops. Now all replacements worked as expected, and I could test ALchemy and all that stuff. However, still there was no other way to get the game to enable EAX aside from running on ct_oal (on X-Fi) or sens_oal (on... both, actually), since those are still the only ones that support EAX 3 properly.

Here's another comparison video, this time between HOAL on the X-Fi card (yeap, that works perfectly fine too), native drivers on the X-Fi card without any extra EAX volume boost, and OpenAL Soft (also on the X-Fi card):
https://youtu.be/V2IiNemRjmw

High quality audio files: 1) http://www.mediafire.com/download/rm1fco5l9ai … 19/hoal-xfi.m4a 2) http://www.mediafire.com/download/golsn4ltnio … uy6/xfi-0db.m4a 3) http://www.mediafire.com/download/yrogf3mwbye … m5/soft-xfi.m4a