VOGONS

Emulating EAX on any onboard sound hardware?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 381, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the topic revive guys. I've been reading on the vogons forum for quite some time already, but I have an issue and reading this persuaded me in registering.

I am an all-time doom fan and as such D³ is my favorite game. The problem is I want to have EAX and my X-Fi card is in another PC. I want to leave it there so I decided to buy the MB3 software layer to go on-top of my mobo integrated chipset. Problem is: no matter what I try, I simply cannot get EAX enabled on this machine. Installed Alchemy of course, along with OpenAL. Does any of you have an idea what might be the issue ?

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 21 of 381, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Did you set the default audio device in Control Panel Sound Settings to the MB3?
2) Did you launch Alchemy and manually add the EXE of the game to the list and then move it to the right column?

I just installed MB3 yesterday and it worked fine. I disabled all the "enhancements" in the application and then unchecked "start up with Windows" because I don't want it altering the sound in any way. The only caveat to using MB3 as the default sound device over the Realtek is that there's no loudness equalization option so the maximum volume is very low. Therefore you need amplified speakers for it. So far I tested BF1942 and indeed I was able to click "Hardware Acceleration" after adding it to Alchemy whereas before it was greyed out.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 23 of 381, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AzzKickr wrote:

Sorry for the topic revive guys. I've been reading on the vogons forum for quite some time already, but I have an issue and reading this persuaded me in registering.

I am an all-time doom fan and as such D³ is my favorite game. The problem is I want to have EAX and my X-Fi card is in another PC. I want to leave it there so I decided to buy the MB3 software layer to go on-top of my mobo integrated chipset. Problem is: no matter what I try, I simply cannot get EAX enabled on this machine. Installed Alchemy of course, along with OpenAL. Does any of you have an idea what might be the issue ?

You'll need latest patch for better sound effects.
And the game uses OpenAL (after it has been patched), so avoid ALchemy

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 25 of 381, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh and OpenAl is installed. As a matter of test I copied the game folder to the machine with the X-Fi and instantly I got EAX so the game isn't the problem. I'm getting the feeling there's something wrong with EAX emulation on MB3...

Reply 27 of 381, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirh wrote:

Well I have no idea. I downloaded that benchmark, ran it, and then stared at a lot of numbers that don't mean anything to me ? What am I supposed to look for ?

Reply 30 of 381, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright !! Found the prob on new year's eve 😖 😜 !

Turns out I had two instances of OpenAL installed, conflicting one another. Removed one of the two and BANG: instant EAX !

Reply 31 of 381, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Where can you buy MB3 ?

Creative's online store. But think twice; so far no EAX for me. Still testing to find cause.

Could you please send me a link, I'm unable to find anything.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 35 of 381, by MST

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="mirh"]...This until I updated ALchemy to the last official version that probably has some new (and faster) hijack mechanism.
It's the newest (and probably last) version after all (just an year old), seas and mountains of improvements had to have been made in the meantime ( universal version and realtek's workaround are dates back more than 6 years ago)
Anyway official means that it will still successfully install, but it won't launch without X-Fi hardware.

<URLs removed by moderator>

Reply 38 of 381, by erpster-xg4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AzzKickr wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Where can you buy MB3 ?

Creative's online store. But think twice; so far no EAX for me. Still testing to find cause.

just remember that the X-Fi MB3 software requires minimum of Windows 7, Windows 8 or better to use (no using outdated OSes & weak PCs with old CPUs people - and also read the fine print on the creative store site)

System Requirements […]
Show full quote

System Requirements

Supported HD-Audio codec and driver
Microsoft Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows® 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core, AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core or equivalent processor, 2.0GHz or faster

Internet connection for software purchase and activation

Reply 39 of 381, by Darkness Knight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, have a question for your`s, the eax emulated (realtek 1150@official drivers + x-fi mb3) sounds with much reverberation/loudly in all games (w/eax support), in others don,t work (sc1, scpt) is normal? any suggestion/fix?.

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

- Canal de Youtube - Blog de Emulación