VOGONS

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While I've been using VBox forever for this (just to play like... build engine games at full framerate and such without timing issues that DosBOX has), I'm a bit lost in Boch's documentation.

Has anyone got some stupified documentation to getting MS-DOS setup in it with a 2 GB harddrive image?

Hope I'm not too dumb for asking for basic assistance in this.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I last tried Bochs for games on this quad-core system, it performed roughly 486DX2 66-ish. Understandable, given it's supposed to be a pure "clean" C portable emulator that most people seem to recommend for some reason probably because it exists and has a lot of marketing blurb on its own site. Don't expect it to be full-speed magic. Bochs serves better for educational purposes for developers than for entertainment use.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if it performs badly I still want to see how stable it performs with a few specific games and programs.

I also like how QEMU is mentioned as being "extremely experimental under windows", as if it could break your PC or something.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to kick off with a 2GB image, you should start with the one attached to the post in Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported) .

Beyond that, it's fairly straightforward – mount the HD image, mount your bootable floppy image, etc.