VOGONS

First post, by kmghXc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have windows xp (not pro) on my system and I have the kings quest collection. I can play kings quest 1-4 fine, all I have to do is drag the folders to my hard drive and they play fine but kings quest 5/6 have really given me problems about the audio. says it can't detect my audio. is there an emulator or something I can do? I already went to http://ftp.sierra.com/patches/pc/sb16drv.exe to download a SoundBlaster drive but that didn't do much.... I've tried running dos box , both the front end and the .60 version... when I typed " mount c c:/dosprog" in the beginning of .60 it says the directory doesn't exist. for some reason I am in drive Z to begin with... finally i created a new folder in my c drive ( c:\dosprog) and the mount c:\dosprog command finally worked... but now i don't know what to do after that..

ugh I am stuck and I don't know what to do. is there an easier way either in the front end or the dos version? I know kings quest 5/6 is supported, I just don't know how to work it... any suggestions are appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by kmghXc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i finally figured that you are suppose to drag the program into the folder so i got it to work better but it's not fully fuctional. it doesn;t get frozen when the people speak but i still can't hear any sounds... any suggestions?

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have VDMSound installed? Some have have had trouble getting the voice track working with the DOS KQ5. The Windows version works fine on XP. Just run SETUP.EXE that's in the KQ5 folder on your CD to install it. You will need to set your resolution to 640x480 256 colors before you run the game, since the game checks for this before Compatibility Mode can change it. A convenient way to do this is to make a batch file to start the game with instead of the Windows shortcut and set the bat file to run at 640x480 256 colors.

The Windows version of King's Quest 6 has higher graphics than the DOS version does, though it can be a bit involved to get it going under XP. For help with this, see this thread from the Sierra King's Quest board:

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?230@16.FIpn … 3WF7.3@.f00b588

Reply 3 of 5, by kmghXc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed VDM sound after you told me to, and then i went to compatibility mode to use setup... so i was able to get in but when it did a sound test for midi i was not able to hear the sound (even after i installed vdm sound) i also got a weird error saying "indeger divided by zero" when running under compandaibility wizard.

for some odd reason after i run the compadibility wizard, and i go back to change the setting to trying again, it wont initiate anything... so i have to restart the computer, ect ect. pain in the butt. i don't know how to change the batch file, or make a new one.

frustration 🙁

Reply 5 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use VDMSound just for the DOS version. "SETUP.EXE" to install the Windows version and "INSTALL.EXE" for the DOS. If you install the Windows game and want to make the batch file I mentioned, just right click on the Windows shortcut and choose "Properties" and copy what is in the Target box and paste it into Notepad. Then save it with a ".bat" extension and set this bat file to 640x480 256 colors.