VOGONS

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a serious problem suddenly Windows doesn't detect my CD-ROM drives (D: & E:), respectively. I mean, they simply do NOT appear in Windows Explorer, My Computer, or File Manager.

Upon going to Control Panel --> System, under the 'Performance' tab I find the following written below the 'File System' line:

"Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility"

And written below the "Virtual Memory" line is this:

"MS-DOS compatibility mode"

Now, in the small white box there are two errors listed the first says:

"Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance" (Details)

(Details): Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

"Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.

Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version."

The next error states the following:

"Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system" (Details)

(Details): Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

"This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.

If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drive’s performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drive’s performance may be less than optimal, but you can still use it."

Furthermore, under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manger, simply NO CD-ROM devices appear. I haven't the slightest clue as to what the devil is going on. What in blazes is this 'MS-DOS compatibility mode' and how could I have possibly done something that made Windows load in this mode? I'm just hoping there's a way to resolve this plight without having to reinstall Windows 98SE. Please, any help would be extremely well appreciated!!!

Thank You.

(BTW, I may be wrong about this, but I think there is also a number of devices missing in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager 'tab' under: Disk Controllers, Hard Disk '' '' '' and Floppy disk " " ", as well.

And oh yeah, i didn't want that smiley face, I meant DRIVE E:) ACK!! It just won't go away.

Reply 2 of 5, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, it must have been a VIRUS, but first I restored my registry via scanreg/restore in DOS mode. I choose 1/29/04 as the date being that this was the last day I recall my system was functioning, and PRESTO! like magic after a reboot everything was working fine, problem solved!! It seems as if I just rewinded time. After everything was back to norm, NAV detected 4 files infected with three different viruses! I deleted half of them, but quarantined the other two.

Those other two reside in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and are called:

Iexbac.exe

Iexbacc.exe

Are these files viruses, or are they really system files? Does anyone know how/where I can get clean, uninfected copies of these files?

Also, I have another question regarding scanreg, exactly how far back can it restore the registry, and/or can it be configured to reinstate the registry as far back as desired?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seskanda wrote:

Also, I have another question regarding scanreg, exactly how far back can it restore the registry, and/or can it be configured to reinstate the registry as far back as desired?
Thanks.

Basically, Windows 98 ane Windows ME save a daily copy of the registry the first time you start your computer in a given day. You can get some information about the registry utilities in the Microsoft KB. See:

Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool

When you start your computer successfully, the Windows Registry Checker tool (Scanreg.exe) creates a backup of system files and registry configuration information (including user account information, protocol bindings, software program settings, and user preferences) once daily.

How to Customize Registry Checker Tool Settings

By default, the Registry Checker tool makes a backup copy of your registry files (System.dat and User.dat), the System.ini file, and the Win.ini file the first time you start your computer on any given day. Every time you restart your computer, the Registry Checker tool scans your registry, and if it finds a problem, it automatically replaces the damaged registry with the most recent backup copy. By default, registry backups are stored in the Windows\Sysbckup folder as Rb0<nn>.cab files, where <nn> is a number between 00 and 99.

In theory, you could restore the registry to any of the 100 last days that you used your computer, but I don't have a Windows 98 machine handy to check this right now.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 5, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

I've never seen more than 4 or 5 days' worth of registry backups on any system that's come into our shop.

Yep, you are absolutely right. According to KB article 183603, the default setting in scanreg.ini is to hold 5 backups:

MaxBackupCopies=
A value of 5 (default) saves the last 5 registry backups in the Windows\Sysbckup folder. This value can be between 0 and 99.

Again, it's been a while since I had a decent working copy of Windows 98 to check, so I could not be very accurate on this.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1