VOGONS

Making WineD3D on Windows for Win32

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MS/Opengl32.dll (x86) on Win8 still links to ddraw.dll

However, I've never personally seen the recursion problem actually occur...
but someone, somewhere, sometime, must have.

I've used (parts of) wined3d without modification on vista, win7, and win8...

Reply 21 of 30, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aqrit wrote:
MS/Opengl32.dll (x86) on Win8 still links to ddraw.dll […]
Show full quote

MS/Opengl32.dll (x86) on Win8 still links to ddraw.dll

However, I've never personally seen the recursion problem actually occur...
but someone, somewhere, sometime, must have.

I've used (parts of) wined3d without modification on vista, win7, and win8...

Thanks!

Reply 22 of 30, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Anybody had much success with using WineD3D? Outside of Infinity Engine games (where they're actually the most suited wrapper), I haven't really gotten it to work well with anything.

My experience is that anything which has recently (I find ~3 months is a good definition here) been listed as gold or better on Wine's AppDB has a 75% chance of working. In general, if it works on Linux, it might work on Windows with WineD3D.

However, there are a few games which actually benefit from WineD3D, such as Silent Storm. In that game, shadows are utterly broken on most modern graphics cards (namely AMD) unless you use WineD3D - albeit with slowdown issues. In fact, the fixes implemented in the most current digital builds of the game utilize a version of WineD3D optimized for Silent Storm, which eliminates the slowdown issues.

Reply 23 of 30, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just had bad luck with it.

Extreme-G 2 works and looks perfect (not broken UI like dgVoodoo2 and no broken geometry like DXGL)... but for some reason it insisted on 960x540 resolution until I deleted that custom resolution. Don't think it runs perfectly smooth (then again I can't tell on a 30 FPS locked game).

Reply 24 of 30, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found two reasons for my "bad luck". One is Win8 specific. A lot of games freeze when querying resolutions if the Disable8And16BitModes compatibility mode is not set... Of course setting that can break games that need 8/16 bit color. Haven't found a workaround yet.

Second is this computer has lots of VRAM so I had to set HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize to 512 MB. WineD3D by default forwards the system value which is a bit high for older games...

Reply 25 of 30, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia's threaded optimization also has an effect.

Turning it off seems to improve framerate. Which is the opposite of what the setting is supposed to do.
Turning it on crashes Breath of Fire IV 🙁

Secondly setting GLSL to disabled (same key location as VideoMemorySize) is pretty beneficial to framerate on Nvidia cards. Disabling it might break stuff though.

Reply 26 of 30, by dosse91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I'm the guy who's currently maintaining WineD3D For Windows on SourceForge. In the last 2 weeks, SF has been very unstable, so I moved the project to my own website:
Project:http://adolfintel.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag
Also, this link will always point to the most recent version of WineD3D: http://downloads.adolfintel.com/geth.php?r=wined3d-latest

On the new project page you'll also find instructions on how I build WineD3D.

Reply 27 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosse91 wrote:
Hi! I'm the guy who's currently maintaining WineD3D For Windows on SourceForge. In the last 2 weeks, SF has been very unstable, […]
Show full quote

Hi!
I'm the guy who's currently maintaining WineD3D For Windows on SourceForge. In the last 2 weeks, SF has been very unstable, so I moved the project to my own website:
Project:http://adolfintel.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag
Also, this link will always point to the most recent version of WineD3D: http://downloads.adolfintel.com/geth.php?r=wined3d-latest

On the new project page you'll also find instructions on how I build WineD3D.

Hi, I'm the guy who asked you over at SF the weird question comparing current WineD3D to the old Savannah builds, and I'm a founding member and moderator here. Welcome to VOGONS! 😁 Thank you for your service to the community.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 30, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How to apply the mentioned patch on first post?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 29 of 30, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2022-01-16, 22:13:

Well it says to use git, so wouldn't that be just something like "git apply /path/to/patch.txt"?
(yes can be done with a text editor too, but that gets old real quick...)

Btw Bruno, I got your pm about WineD3D a bit late and then couldn't even reply via pm so I'll give the answer here:
No I don't have any special builds, I just used the WineD3D binaries from the main site.
To be a little more specific, version 1.8.6 (and with a WinXP guest).

EDIT: I knew I missed something 😁
Yeah so that patch can only be applied to old git version (Oct 2015 or so).
It seems the patch only fixes a single symlink, so maybe there's no need for it any longer.

Last edited by mr.cat on 2022-01-18, 11:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 30, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr.cat wrote on 2022-01-17, 21:44:
Well it says to use git, so wouldn't that be just something like "git apply /path/to/patch.txt"? (yes can be done with a text ed […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2022-01-16, 22:13:

Well it says to use git, so wouldn't that be just something like "git apply /path/to/patch.txt"?
(yes can be done with a text editor too, but that gets old real quick...)

Btw Bruno, I got your pm about WineD3D a bit late and then couldn't even reply via pm so I'll give the answer here:
No I don't have any special builds, I just used the WineD3D binaries from the main site.
To be a little more specific, version 1.8.6 (and with a WinXP guest).

Thank you, but in my case, they don't work, unless you are using an old version of his code. I just tried it now and it fired up X11 on my Mac before crashing and closing QEMU.

You're probably still using the version of his qemu fork where it still needs X11 to run.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!