VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking for some suggestions for a basic / cheap USB joystick for DOSBox with a focus on flight games such as Wing Commander.

A couple of choices are the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitek Cyborg F.L.Y 5 or Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X.

I admit to not having used a Joystick since the golden days of Gravis so not sure what to look for. All of these sticks seem to have way more features than I need so they should all work well.

But if anyone has any positives or negatives to report, especially with regards to using them with DOSBox, please share them 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are asking a DOSBox question in the DOS games forum and not in the DOSBox forum?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 8, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thrustmaster T.16000-M. You won't do any better in that price range. Melexis MLX90333 Hall sensor for the stick X/Y axes, nice saturn ring single-spring centering system, and T.A.R.G.E.T. software with scripting capabilities, all at US$40 or less. Micro Center frequently has 'em for $25 if there's one in your area.

If you insist on something more period-appropriate, you could get an MS SideWinder 3D Pro with a 3DP-Vert adapter or the USB version of the CH Flightstick Pro (which has a distinct black base so you won't mistake it for the grey-base gameport model).

Reply 4 of 8, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a ThrustMaster T.Flight Stick X as well as the HOTAS X. Both are great, but I liked their predecessors better: The Top Gun Fox 2 Pro and Afterburner II HOTAS. They're both identical to the modern T.Flight versions, but they had really nice programming software that even worked in Win98SE. The T.Flight sticks still work fine in Win98SE but lack that programming software. You'll need to use something like JoyToKey or XPadder to program them if your game lacks a built-in function for button assignment. I'm not sure about assigning buttons in DOSBox, so I don't know if the lack of programming software is even an issue for you. Both are great sticks and you won't go wrong with either of them unless you're left-handed.

If you're left-handed or think you might eventually want to use the stick with your left hand (damn RSI), then consider the ThrustMaster T.1600-M as NamelessPlayer has already mentioned. I don't own one, but I'll buy one if ever see them for $20 again at Micro Center. They seem like they would be superior to the T.Flight sticks, but some reviewers complain about odd button placement and also a "cheap" feeling to them.

I've never had good luck with Logitech sticks. I haven't tried the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, but I would avoid it based on my past experiences with other Logitech joystick products.

I've had mixed experiences with Saitek products. I tried a gameport version of the original Cyborg stick in the late 90s and didn't like it at all. I currently own an X-45 HOTAS which I like OK, but the programming software can be a bit goofy. The X-45 stick and throttle also feel a bit too big for my hands; I should have returned it and found something that fit me better. I've also got a Cyborg Evo which looks really cool, but has a mushy center position which requires me to set a larger-than-preferable deadzone. The Cyborg Evo also works well in Win98SE and includes programming software.

Whatever you buy, make sure it fits your hands or you'll get annoyed after awhile.

My personal recommendation is for you to find an old MS SideWinder Precision Pro with the USB dongle. They're cheap, work great, feel great, have optical sensors, and still work well even in Windows 7. They're also extremely durable and last a very long time. If you use them in Win9x, you can also run the SideWinder programming software. I see used ones at GoodWill all the time for $4 or less, but make sure you get the USB dongle for it or you'll be outta luck.

There's also the CH FlightStick Pro which is basic, durable, and a very good stick. It is not, however, cheap. You might be able to find one used on eBay for cheap.

Reply 5 of 8, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My old stick was a F.L.Y 5 and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with it. It looks cool, it folds up, it has twin throttles, but it has one major issue: the spring is too stiff. Personally I think it needs too much effort to move the stick away from the centre position, and this makes fine control somewhat difficult. A lot of old dos games have quite large deadzones so it may not matter too much there, but I found it awkward.

Reply 6 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for all the input. Because of price, availability and postage I went with the Logitech. Will let you know how it does with DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't see this in time, I would have suggested the T.16000-M as well. Got it a few months ago and it is the best joystick I've ever used, I've never seen such smooth response from a joystick before. It is quite sturdy and heavy enough. You really can't go wrong with it.

Phil, did you go with the Extreme 3D Pro? It ain't too shabby either, I don't think you'll regret buying it!

Reply 8 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got both sticks underway, the Thrustmaster and the Logitech. The Logitech could be more suitable for arcade games.