VOGONS

First post, by rogerwilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I'm fortunate to own both one Roland LAPC-1 and one Roland SCC-1. I'm currently using the MT-32 Emulator with DOSBOX and it sounds great!

However when owing the original card I was wondering if it is possible to externally connect these two other ISA synths, so that I can have my DOSBOX computer (without ISA slots) to send MIDI signals to another older computer (with ISA slots and the two Roland cards installed). The DOSBOX computer only has a SB Live card, but I can invest in some MIDI cable kit to be able to send MIDI out from the DOSBOX computer.

Is this possible (and hopefully easy)? The LAPC-1 does not, like the SCC-1 have a MIDI IN directly, but it has this normal "Joystick" connector which I hope can be used as a MIDI IN port.

If the only thing I need is two MIDI cable kits and a couple of MIDI cable to connect these devices together I would be most happy!

Have anyone tried this before?

Thanks in advance!

--
R. Wilco
Space janitor and a fan of old computer games.

Reply 1 of 3, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course you can connect all three cards.
You will need:
1. joystick <=> midi cable (sound blaster <=> midi) (it is easy to do it yourself if you know electronics or know someone who knows 😉 )
2. midi (minidin) <=> midi cable (din) (scc-1 <=> midi) (you can do this cable yourself)
3. original roland mcb-1 for lapc-1 (lapc-1 <=> midi) (it's not a joystick port!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … 8&category=3701

You will also need to set your lapc-1 and scc-1 to different IRQ and address cause they cannot be both on irq=2 and address=330 (unless you want to use 3 computers for that 😉 )

Reply 2 of 3, by rogerwilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the "joystick" port requires a special device, huh? I don't happen to have that device, and I don't think I will find one of those sold separately.

I was considering a product called: "midi-over-lan", so that I would eliminate the need for cables, and the extra box for the LAPC-1. Has anyone tried that product? It's devoloped by

<http://www.musiclab.com/>

Thanks!