Old soundfonts hard to find?

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: Old soundfonts hard to find?

Postby tcaud » 2016-2-06 @ 08:45

Lowdown on Creative Netsynth: http://ipta.demokritos.gr/erl/awe64.html
Code: Select all
Creative NetSynth Features

Architecture    
GM Compatible    Yes
Synthesis Methods    Wavetable, Physical Modeling demo voice
Math    32-bit floating point
Optimization    Pentium/Pentium Pro floating point
Patch-Caching    Yes - WaveLock
Fidelity    
Sample Set Rate    22 kHz
Sample Set Width    16-bit, some 8 bit for special FX
Sound Set Size    1.1M
Output Rate    22 or 44 kHz switched dynamically
Dynamic Range    96 dB (CODEC limited)
Simultaneous Voices Available    32
Voicing    
Sondius Overdrive Guitar    free demonstration voice
Pitch Bend Range    +/- 24 semitones
Delayed LFOs    Yes
Polyphonic LFOs    Yes
Envelopes    Logarithmic, floating point, per sample (no zipper noise)
Panning    Stereo (continuous)
Oscillator Interpolation    Linear
CPU Usage    10 - 20% typical.
Total System Note-on Latency    15 - 20 ms
Idle Load    <1%
Dynamic CPU Load Control    Yes
System Monitor Support    Yes
Other Services    
Reverb    Yes. Hi-fi, optimized, multi-mode.
Adjustable WAV Reverb Depth    Yes (with proper CT drivers, ver4.33 & above)
GM / GS Reset    Yes
Log Voicing Curves    Yes
Operating System    Windows 95

A 22khz lib weighing in at 1.1 megs... I figure it has to be the AWE-32 set. I did some additional searching and came upon a few references to "netsynth" in Java 1.1 code... leading me to believe that it's probably been embedded IN Java, and may just be JVM's original MIDI sound engine. I'm uncertain that Netsynth was ever released as a plug-in... it competed with Crescendo and later Yamaha's XG plug-in, and of course WinGroove/Timidity. I remember my desperation years ago to try to get vocals in FF7's One Winged Angel, or at least to get the instruments closer to what I heard in-game... I tried everything, but I don't remember ever hearing about Netsynth. I might have found the Creative Wavesynth/WG, though, because I distinctly remember installing something that was hyped up as awesome with "waveguide enhanced modeling" that actually sounded nothing like FF7 and so I assumed it was crap.

Draconihl: I was wrong about the location of the Creative Wavesynth drivers. They are, in fact, HERE: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 . Awe64 Gold install CD... check it. UPDATE: I installed the Creative Wavesynth to my Win95 VirtualBox, which doesn't support AWE. It didn't work but Yamaha SYXG-70 does... so draw your own conclusions.

UPDATE #2: Got to the bottom of the plot:
http://seersystems.com/page/13/
Wavesynth Download Crash CTL Servers
Posted on : 13-03-1997 | By : admin | In : Seer History
Tags: Creative Labs, WaveSynth

Seer’s software allowed your old sound blaster to sound like a $1000 pro card.

As a $39 download (upon which I believe we made $1) demand was so strong as to cause Creative management to realize “that Seer’s software could easily ‘cannibalize’ CTL’s hardware” (their phrase).

From this point on, everything with went downhill. First seen by the U.S. division as an opportunity, we were now seen by CTL itself as the enemy.

Also affirms the fate of the SYXG series (although I think VSTi's played a bigger role there). Creative Wavesynth was re-marketed by Seer as "Reality".
tcaud

Re: Old soundfonts hard to find?

Postby ZekeWolf » 2019-5-31 @ 19:26

This is by far the very best soundfont I have ever used. Its called The Xioad Bank and was once listed in Hammersound but they no longer seam to have any mirrors up. I found a link however and any one who likes midi in their games this is the must have soundfont. http://soundfonts.gonet.biz/search.php? ... oad%20Bank
ZekeWolf

Previous

Return to PC Emulation