VOGONS

First post, by TheOligopolist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 10 seems to break VirtualMIDISynth the majority of times it does an update. The "Default MIDI Output Device" selection becomes greyed out and seemingly, the only way to fix it is to do a reinstall. It's not a huge deal, but it's still pretty annoying.
Has anyone else been experiencing this and know of a way to stop windows from breaking it?

Reply 3 of 8, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never had that box be anything but grey on Windows 8.1, and I presume 10 would be extremely similar (I can't get updates working yet, so I can't test on 10), so you can try this workaround that I've always used... maybe it'll solve the problem, or maybe Windows updates will kill it either way:

Use regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

and look for a key called "midimapper", change its value data to:

"VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll"

Do note that this does not "ungrey" the box, it just points Windows to the default MIDI device and should still make it work globally for all MIDI playback in the kernel as far as I've tested.

Hopefully it works for you.

Reply 5 of 8, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Licentious Howler wrote:
I've never had that box be anything but grey on Windows 8.1, and I presume 10 would be extremely similar (I can't get updates wo […]
Show full quote

I've never had that box be anything but grey on Windows 8.1, and I presume 10 would be extremely similar (I can't get updates working yet, so I can't test on 10), so you can try this workaround that I've always used... maybe it'll solve the problem, or maybe Windows updates will kill it either way:

Use regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

and look for a key called "midimapper", change its value data to:

"VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll"

Do note that this does not "ungrey" the box, it just points Windows to the default MIDI device and should still make it work globally for all MIDI playback in the kernel as far as I've tested.

Hopefully it works for you.

Does it work from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Reply 6 of 8, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use coolsoftvirtualmidisynth for to listen .mid with my HUGE soundbank on windows media center hack running windows 10 (x86 tho...), thanks for the headsup as I didnt realised it was broken for it work such flawlessly.

Reply 7 of 8, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my biggest issue is how Windows 10 (x64) keeps removing the device from being used at all and i have to either run a reg file i made to get it to see the virtual device again (doesn't remove the files, just the entry in the registry) or flat out reinstall.