VOGONS

First post, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope that I've posted this in the right section. I'm looking for somebody who has Kyro, Kyro 2 or Neon 250 (preferably BOTH Kyro/Kyro2 and Neon 250) and is willing to help with small test. This test involves running small application (~45KB) written by me that tests PowerSGL Direct2. Operating system doesn't matter, it can be Windows 9x or NT 5.0 and up. If somebody is willing to help, just post here reply or PM me and I'll send details. It will help me a lot in a project, which details I'll tell later if it will succeed. Thanks in advance. 😀

Edit:
As there were no replies, I've bought Kyro II just for testing.

Last edited by Tuxality on 2016-05-08, 12:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've created from pieces SDK for PowerVR SGL 2 API and tried to create backward compatibility wrapper for SGL on Neon250/Kyro/Kyro II. It seems that Kyro still supports SGL2 API and is very close to Neon250, just little refactored. Below you can see my attempt, but I have small problem. As you can see, SGL2 is quite buggy on Kyro II, it doesn't not render correctly to whole framebuffer. I'm 100% positive that it's blitted correctly, but rendering is wrong. Everything is working in "address mode" which works exactly like previous PowerVR cards, namely PCX and PCX2 but still I cannot figure why it does behave like that. I've tested this on Windows 2000 Professional with Kyro II and I think that it is a driver problem because this glitch varies on different driver version.

Is anybody willing to help with small test? I'll provide everything, it's <200KB package for now, all I ask is to run this application and post screenshot how it behaves in different combination of GPU (Neon250/Kyro/Kyro II) and OS (Win9x/Win2k/WinXP).

Screenshots:

sgl2_wrong_1.png sgl2_wrong_2.png
sgl2_wrong_3.png sgl2_wrong_4.png

Thanks in advance,
Tuxality.

Reply 2 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didnt see this thread before now. I have both the Neon259 and Kyro cards, so I can help you out with testing

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 15, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested for myself on Windows 98 and ... it works! 😀 So, I guess I can implement SGL backward compatibility wrapper that will make use of SGL2 on Kyro, Kyro II and Neon 250 (for unsupported or badly supported games).

Original SGL library for PCX/PCX2 and Neon 250 works as a high level API that calls PowerVR internal library with use of exposed API (function pointers?). Anyway, SGL2 works the same way, uses the same internal library so it might count as an almost native SGL support for Kyro. 😁

Reply 6 of 15, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that means games for Matrox M3D can work on Kyro, Kyro 2 or Neon 250 ? with wrapper?

Aslo found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0akkZWRwsk

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 9 of 15, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaVeN-05 wrote:

Is that means games for Matrox M3D can work on Kyro, Kyro 2 or Neon 250 ? with wrapper?

Yes, it allows to do exactly that in a as native way as it can be done. While this is more like compatibility layer, it still counts as a wrapper.

Reply 11 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unlocked at the request of OP (Tuxality).

RaVeN-05, we appreciate your enthusiasm for the topic of GPU emulation and 3D API wrappers, but in many cases you're updating many topics/threads without much of relevance to add.

Most moderators here at VOGONS do have an unofficial policy of not updating topics that haven't been responded to in much more than two or three years. If you see that you are about to do that, please consider starting a new topic and linking to the old one. In many cases those involved in the original thread may not be subscribed to new posts in their topics and will be unable to continue the conversation assuming they even still are active on the forums.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 15, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, sorry i will not post on old threads (this is last time), i feel my self like shit, i feel that i can be banned here soon, but i don't want it. Forgive me, also idk what Tuxality think about me, but i still not comfortable on everything about what is going on around me last time, and i banned on PCem =(, really guys i am very sorry, i want to be friend of all, and be friend for leileilol especially, i find him very smart, cool guy. I am sorry for Continent of Blackmarsh!!!! You will always remember it?
World even can't forget John Romero about Daikatana.
I am Ukrainian, English is not my native language, and maybe is mindset, i don't know how to live, ho to do this and don't do this, others know but not me, i am very dissapointed in life.
I am interested in emulation, whole life i learning programming, but still noob =(, my salary ... is so low. I want to collect some video cards but i can't, its so expensive to me, like PowerVR, Creative 3D Blaster, Paradise Tasmania 3D. I want emulate them. Exclusive games. They is not valuable for me, they just a little piece of metal.

What i need to do in life? i can't even get job. I single and lonely. I am very sorry.

This is last time i post on old forums, i will always create new. Old is > than month?
Sorry i fall into depression.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 13 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey man, don't beat yourself over it, no one's considering banning you I don't think. Stiletto even says it right there in his post that your enthusiasm is appreciated. It's just that you should perhaps be a little less enthusiastic and maybe put just a little more effort in your posts, making sure to put a little more info in them or perhaps phrase your questions slightly clearer.

As for the rest, I feel for you. Stay strong and keep doing what you love. We're all just a bunch of retro geeks here 😀.

Reply 14 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't want to drag the topic too far off, but I wonder what the proper etiquette would be for posting in a long standing, central thread which perhaps hasn't seen much recent activity (either sticky threads, or almost sticky threads -- I think I'll call them "tacky"). Would contacting the OP via PM be the best approach for checking if the thread still has viability, or is it preferable in all cases to open a new thread?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 15, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyway, I've found some version of my SGL2 to SGL wrapper so I thought why not to share this, maybe somebody will find this useful. It should be the same version I've provided last time to vetz for testing. So, if anybody wants to take a look on their Kyro boards, keep in mind that this is only a PowerSGL Direct wrapper and even only flat shaded one, then you can grab it here: http://redtux.rocik.net/?page=download&file=2

If anybody is interested in such project, please keep me informed if you have any problems regarding blitting which I had encountered when I was working on this. Sadly this problem remained and only on one of my retro PCs it worked flawlessly, so please try this in different hardware and software configurations if you are able to. Adding proper support for Biohazard which as for now will run but with black screen as there is no texturing done is a matter of 5-10min of work, but I need to know if the problem with blitting remains for other people. It might bring some curiosity value to the Kyro boards, which I find quite interesting but maybe it's just me. 😁