VOGONS

Reply 21 of 44, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just rediscovered this! This is exceptional! Love the BNK support! Now it can be used in conjunction with SCI Companion and one of NRS's conversion tools to make Adlib patches for Sierra SCI games! Thanks for your work! It would be nice to support Sierra's adlib PAT format directly for reading and writing but I don't have information on the specs. As I stated earlier, NewRisingSun made a tool to convert back and forth between BNK and PAT but I suppose you'd have to speak with him about the specifications.

There's a small group of us at SCI Programming Community who are assembling all tools possible to create retro Sierra games.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 22 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MusicallyInspired, The BNK format is supported experimentally, for now writer is works incorrectly and produces invalid bank file, also in works the support for UNIX SB/OP banks.
I think, I'll ask them for specification of their bank/instrument format and I'll implement the module which will support it. About SCI forum, I have been requested registration, and I'll need to wait approvment from admin's side.
Also, in-repo version now has support for instrument import from IMF files (a bit later i'll add also import from CMF)

Reply 24 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beta-version which now supports BNK are correctly opening by INSMAKER for DOS, UNIX SB and OP banks, AIL banks, added support for multi-banks (required for AIL format, but will be used widely for own format in future), and instrument import from IMF music files
https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPL3BankEditor/r … es/tag/1.3-beta

Reply 25 of 44, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Wohlstand. Is there a way to save a 4op instrument as a 60 byte sbi file? Right now it saves as 2op 52 byte sbi file.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 26 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:

Thanks Wohlstand. Is there a way to save a 4op instrument as a 60 byte sbi file? Right now it saves as 2op 52 byte sbi file.

Not yet, I have to implement that

P.S. Do you have example files? Can you send me them to let me better understand them?

Reply 28 of 44, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still looking forward to this tool making it possible to make a FatMan bank for UNIX systems so I can actually be serious about using my cmi-pci as a MIDI device.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 29 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Still looking forward to this tool making it possible to make a FatMan bank for UNIX systems so I can actually be serious about using my cmi-pci as a MIDI device.

About C-Media: I have some set of C-Media sound cards in my collection and you just gave me a wonderful idea! 😎
I want to try some experiments with it and libADLMIDI (which originally has ability to be build for usage of real chip, but for DOS only)
for now I'll go to provide writing for SB and O3 today...

P.S. In parallel I have similar bank editor (based on this) for OPN2 (YM2612) chip, but with my own "*.WOPN" format, and libOPNMIDI which a MIDI player based on emulator of YM2612 chip. It's sad that is no PC sound cards with this chip, or I just have to buy this chip and as idea, implement interface between PC and this chip through Arduino or similar thing. (everything that I have posted into "Game console emulation" sub-section)

Reply 30 of 44, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if ALSA's MIDI driver would interfere with you trying to use the OPL device directly, but I wish you luck nonetheless. I really want a .op bank that doesn't sound like a moron with no knowledge of music made it.

I don't have a *true* CMI card. It's some chineese knockoff clone that runs off of a bridge chip. The CMI chip itself seems legit but the design of the card is some noname thing. The OPL actually works though despite being behind a bridge chip.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 31 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyway, in 1.3.1-beta support for writing of SB, OP, and 4-operator SBI files has been added: https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPL3BankEditor/c … 949ced029564bd0

EDIT: I also just now added support for old AdLib's INS instrument import/export support.
EDIT2: I just now added support for instrument import from CMF music files.

Reply 32 of 44, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Wohlstand. The fat2.op3 exported as unix 2 op sounds very close to Win98SE FM driver. Fat4.op3 exported skips a lot but that is probably because there's not enough polyphony.

Reply 33 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:

Thanks Wohlstand. The fat2.op3 exported as Unix 2 op sounds very close to Win98SE FM driver. Fat4.op3 exported skips a lot but that is probably because there's not enough polyphony.

Fat4.op3 is the four-operator bank, and it's not because of polyphony, but to export 4-operator banks, use bank that supports 4 operators instruments. I think you just exported as 2-operator bank with causing of data loss. Also, because of Junglevision bank, some instruments have wrapped octave which must be fixed by having of "Transpose" parameter (which is presented, for example, in the AIL, WOPL, TMB, OP3, and IBK files), and you can look HTML file I included with every assembly that showing full comparison of bank format capabilities. So, simply re-saving of one bank format into another will just cause a loss of data. When I exported Doom-2's bank into TMB to listen in Duke Nukem 3D, I have modified some instruments are was two-voice to avoid their wrong sound because the main voice was second than first.

Reply 34 of 44, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to ask but can someone provide me a working FatMan like UNIX style bank for me? I'm too lazy to try to force fix the dependency hell just to get this program to build for me...

Ubuntu's multilib support is such a mess I swear...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 35 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:

Are there any plans for Adlib Gold bnk files?

https://github.com/Wohlstand/OPL3BankEditor/pull/98

Hello!
Experimental Read-Only AdLib Gold BNK is now supported! I had only "Master of Magic" bank, and I need for more banks. Can anyone provide them?

Reply 36 of 44, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Wohlstand, I will try to compile OPL3BankEditor later today.

I also have Master of Magic. The FAT-OPL3.BNK file has a text file in the same directory called FAT.CAT which shows it is an Insmaker Gold bank file. In the past, I viewed the bank file in the adlib gold sdk that was posted somewhere on vogons, (which I can't find right now).

Reply 37 of 44, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:

Thanks Wohlstand, I will try to compile OPL3BankEditor later today.

I also have Master of Magic. The FAT-OPL3.BNK file has a text file in the same directory called FAT.CAT which shows it is an Insmaker Gold bank file. In the past, I viewed the bank file in the adlib gold sdk that was posted somewhere on vogons, (which I can't find right now).

The Master of Magic bank I have, doesn't provides any drum key tones which makes all drums treated as "32" which is BAD, especially for toms. I also have got AdLib Gold SDK recently, digged it on some threads, but, BNK files are was inside are blank banks 😜

Maybe some newer/better SDK is exists?

Reply 38 of 44, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I found the gold_sdtk file.

Copy the FAT-OPL3.BNK from Master of Magic as OPL3.BNK and overwrite the included OPL3.BNK.

Then open ed.exe in dosbox, and in the file, open menu, you can see each melodic and percussion timbre.

Reply 39 of 44, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.ins files written by Bank Editor are not recognized by Reality Adlib Tracker 2.0. Are there different .ins standards?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city